springtails

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone know how to attract wild springtails to my yard? I keep seeing people gettting "serious" infestations of them. But I'm the unlucky one who doesn't even get any! D: < I don't wanna buy something that I c an seriously just go out and find it

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you have any houseplants, check the soil. I've found them in my houseplant soil at times, especially soil that is kept consistently damp.

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you have to check very carefully, check everywhere like on dirt or under logs and stuff. they are TINY TINY TINY! Caught a few myself and trying to start a colony lolz

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But how do I attract them on to a container to start a large colony myself?

I currently have gotten some d.hydei and they're well a pain... I read they don't breed readily... And my toadlets don't seem to be eating them. Though they may just be getting their tails completely absorbed and they're on paper towel substrate. Maybe ill put in a slice of apple in so they get the apple(fruitflies). and stick on there w hile the toadlets feast on them.

But anywho that's why I want springtails. To feed to my toadlets.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Despite being one of the most numerous arthropods on the planet, springtails are difficult to collect in sufficient numbers to start a colony. Also, many backyard species don't seem to fare as well in captivty as ones available in the amphibian feeder industry.

By laying flat debris over bare soil, you can generally find them using it as cover a few days later. Often, they will be upside-down on the underside of the board. They seem more common during the wetter seasons, and even now a few days of dryness will cause them to hide (here in the urban Pacific NW).

Pssh

Arachnoknight
I find mine under rocks where it is moist. I have not been able to culture any species I have found around me except for the massive silver ones. I have to individually catch them (which is a pain in the butt!) to start colonies though.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Something you could try is to get a small cap of water, put it in your yard, put something like a couple of pellets of dry dog food next to the cap of water. Springtails easily get caught in the meniscus on top of the water.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Something you could try is to get a small cap of water, put it in your yard, put something like a couple of pellets of dry dog food next to the cap of water. Springtails easily get caught in the meniscus on top of the water.
what do you mean? colaborate more please.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Despite being one of the most numerous arthropods on the planet, springtails are difficult to collect in sufficient numbers to start a colony. Also, many backyard species don't seem to fare as well in captivty as ones available in the amphibian feeder industry.

By laying flat debris over bare soil, you can generally find them using it as cover a few days later. Often, they will be upside-down on the underside of the board. They seem more common during the wetter seasons, and even now a few days of dryness will cause them to hide (here in the urban Pacific NW).
I will try that. Maybe ill yield some luck. Since I have like 100's of toadlets to feed and I need to k eep them untill they're a month old or so. So that I can pick out the stronger feeders and all the ones that ussually die within the first month die out. and the ones that ussually live will be the ones I can pick and the rest I can release back where I found them(american toadlets).

Currently I'm running out of fruitflies... they're hydei... The only ones they sell.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
After having them in captivity that long, releasing them back into the wild is a very bad idea and quite probably illegal where you live.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After having them in captivity that long, releasing them back into the wild is a very bad idea and quite probably illegal where you live.
I checked with the laws already.... And and! I also have a backup plan. Should I not be able to really release them I have a friend with a large man made pond in his yard. He said he wouldn't mind them in his pond. Or I could give them away to anyone who wants a toadlet or few. lol.

but I already checked on a frog forum they said its actually "ok" to release them back once they grow up. Plus having them in captivity doesn't change anything. They're led by instincts sooo... yeah its not like they'll NOT run away when a predator is nearby.

What I'm looking for is answers for feeding them. Like Im thinking springtails will be a good idea. Though I may release a large number of them soon so that I don't have to worry when they grow bigger. But I want to keep say atleast 20 so if one dies for whatever reason I still have a wide selection to pick the healthiest and the others give away

Last edited:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
realising them into a pond in the yard is the same as realising them, its simple. do NOT do it, period, you have altered their biological balance with forieng bacteria fungal etc cultures that are now using these toads as a host, releasing them can be catastrophic to the wild populace. While all of this in theory is plausable, it is best to be avoided. end of story.

It has little to do with the toad itself surviving but what it shares.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
realising them into a pond in the yard is the same as realising them, its simple. do NOT do it, period, you have altered their biological balance with forieng bacteria fungal etc cultures that are now using these toads as a host, releasing them can be catastrophic to the wild populace. While all of this in theory is plausable, it is best to be avoided. end of story.

It has little to do with the toad itself surviving but what it shares.
IS there anyway possible to kill the foreing bacteria, fungal, etc from the tadpole toadlets? If not what can I do? I mean there's like 200-500toadlets... I was doing what I was told was okay to do.
Any advice?

Maybe I could make a pen for them outside? Like a large pen that they can't get out of via digging or climbing and that they will enjoy? That way they get natural insects, natural sunlight, etc, etc? Like they do with box turtles.

Though I could sell them online or give them away. Depends on my options. :x But if either--- I rather wait untill they're a bit bigger to make sure I give away or sell away some healthy specimens. I'd feel bad about selling/giving away toadlets.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IS there anyway possible to kill the foreing bacteria, fungal, etc from the tadpole toadlets? If not what can I do? I mean there's like 200-500toadlets... I was doing what I was told was okay to do.
Any advice?

Maybe I could make a pen for them outside? Like a large pen that they can't get out of via digging or climbing and that they will enjoy? That way they get natural insects, natural sunlight, etc, etc? Like they do with box turtles.

Though I could sell them online or give them away. Depends on my options. :x But if either--- I rather wait untill they're a bit bigger to make sure I give away or sell away some healthy specimens. I'd feel bad about selling/giving away toadlets.
1) regard the laws with the distrabution of toads and wildlife in your area and state/country long before selling. Im sure you've done it
2) no, once you take something from the wild you are stuck with it unless your going to euthanize it
3) by putting them back outside you are again introducing them to the exterio enviroment giving contagion a chance to spread.
---------------

In short, think ahead, before collecting a clutch of young toads. you could however let them canabalize. euthanize. or perhaps talk to a local uni about disection. etc. good places to mass offload them.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1) regard the laws with the distrabution of toads and wildlife in your area and state/country long before selling. Im sure you've done it
2) no, once you take something from the wild you are stuck with it unless your going to euthanize it
3) by putting them back outside you are again introducing them to the exterio enviroment giving contagion a chance to spread.
---------------

In short, think ahead, before collecting a clutch of young toads. you could however let them canabalize. euthanize. or perhaps talk to a local uni about disection. etc. good places to mass offload them.
That'd be horrible to let them canabilize. I was told this was an okay thing as long as I release them after they morphed into toadlets. Mine are just turning into toadlets I only have like 40 fully morphed toadlets at best.

The rest are still morphing. I thought that it was an okay thing to do since the toadlets weren't in my room and were in the garage for the most of their being.

I never sold animals before but ill look into that. That would be a better idea. I say sell because I rather see them to a good home. Not someone who wants everything for free and thus wont provide them the care they need. I maybe able to unload them at a few local petstores that I know and am well aware of people doing that there with their fish stocks and such. Plus they'd sell like crazy and I could make sure they get a better home than being euthanized.

I'm looking more into the laws about releasing the toadlets. Ill call the fish division of wildlife instead of just looking at the laws. That may better clear it up.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not really a concern about 'laws' when releasing toadlits.. but what ever pathogens they have gathered up in the murky water in a container of the garage that wasn't properly purified in natural pond/puddle place, etc. and then the non-immunities to the natural environment the toads don't have anymore, due to frequent water changes. (or infrequent water changes, depending on the situation)

It's perfectly natural to let them cannibalize, it's not horrible. It happens to toad-lits even in their natural depleting ponds. You're letting human emotion getting ahead of you on this part.

If you have a snake, or more specifically a garter snake as a pet they will gladly gooble them up.

You probably should have just collected 20 toad-lits at the beginning, but of course its too late now.

oh springtails

Take some natural peatmoss from an outdoors location with a small section of natural moss, put it in an aquarium, close and seal up the aquarium/tubby container (small bottle cap of a waterdish should help) and wait ...they should pop up within a week or 2. I would put a small plant in there as well, that is not treated with pesticides and some leaf litter.(for decomposing material) Also Put a few worms in the soil as well. Don't put pill bugs in it, yet.
When they've multiplied enough, just remove the spring-tails from the container.

Last edited:

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's not really a concern about 'laws' when releasing toadlits.. but what ever pathogens they have gathered up in the murky water in a container of the garage that wasn't properly purified in natural pond/puddle place, etc. and then the non-immunities to the natural environment the toads don't have anymore, due to frequent water changes. (or infrequent water changes, depending on the situation)

It's perfectly natural to let them cannibalize, it's not horrible. It happens to toad-lits even in their natural depleting ponds. You're letting human emotion getting ahead of you on this part.

If you have a snake, or more specifically a garter snake as a pet they will gladly gooble them up.

You probably should have just collected 20 toad-lits at the beginning, but of course its too late now.

oh springtails

Take some natural peatmoss from an outdoors location with a small section of natural moss, put it in an aquarium, close and seal up the aquarium/tubby container (small bottle cap of a waterdish should help) and wait ...they should pop up within a week or 2. I would put a small plant in there as well, that is not treated with pesticides and some leaf litter.(for decomposing material) Also Put a few worms in the soil as well. Don't put pill bugs in it, yet.
When they've multiplied enough, just remove the spring-tails from the container.
As for pathogens--- can't I treat them for whatever they maybe carrying?

As for the springtails. Where do I get natural peatmoss? Is it possible if I can just buy peatmoss and put it in a large container outside with natural moss and put food or whatever in the container? I see people getting major pest problems in their houses with springtails and WANT to get rid of them--- yet here Iam WANTING to get some. :/ Ironic huh?

P.s. I didn't gather the tadpoles. I gathered their parents. I have their parents that I Gathered from the creek/pond I found them at(they were at the slow moving water area) and the parents were mating so i let them continue mate and I asked some people online and they said it'd be fine to release the toadlets once they hit that certain point and I can just keep the ones I want--- but to make sure that the tadpoles/eggs/toadlets never came in contact with any of my captive bred ones. I always washed my hands for a minute prior to handling the tank... I did weekly water changes. Quite alot died but not all. And I still have a great deal of them left. So I only wanted to keep a few and release the rest. Should I not be able to do that I may just give a great deal away and let them cannibalize after a while. Yes I am letting my human emotions in my way. I'm human after all--- as are you.

Last edited:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh, all peatmoss is natural,(with no pesticides) I just noticed the ones outside in my woods have a higher source of springtails lol

...just don't release the lil ones... as we've been saying. ... it probably is possible to kill a bacteria on a toadpol, but you may not be aware of a simple strain(I have no idea of what that strain would be, but its a possibility...and toads are veeeerrry sensitive to stuff in the water, so you might just kill it by trying that?). Also, the toad does not have its immunities it gains from growing up in its natural would be location -> because you removed the parents <- you would be sending them to their doom if you where to return them, and also, the quite possible doom of that locations current occupants. (amphibian wise if i remember correctly)

Acquire a pet garter snake from the petstore - he will love the toadlit treats.