Springtails!! Lots of them appeared in Scorpions water dish.

antsman

Arachnosquire
I was checking on my Scorpion the other day and noticed a bunch of .1 to .2cm creatures living on top on the waters surface. The larger ones are white and the smaller ones/eggs are grey. I move them to there own container to try to breed them. I looked in the water dish today and there are thousands of them now, after cleaning the dish thoroughly.
I don't see anything in the substrate on the water dish?
Can they become a problem? Overpopulation? I was concerned because I've had a book lice problem before. I have no problem with them cleaning and doing there thing I just don't want to be overwhelmed.

Umbra

Arachnopeon
Springtails shouldn't be an issue - they are completely harmless. As long as they aren't crawling all over your scorpion you should be ok- they do a great job of not only cleaning up but potentially consuming some types of mold as well!

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I love springtails I seed all my enclosures with them as they do an amazing cleaning job. They seem to either like floating on water dishes or get stuck but when I notice a lot I just dump the water dish and re-fill it since I cant tell if they are stuck in it or not.

antsman

Arachnosquire
I have since started a few cultures of them. My plan is to start maybe selling them in Canada as I can't seem to find any dealers.