Springtails appearing in my L. Parahybana's enclosure

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
So I saw some white stuff grouped up in my LP's enclosure. At first I thought they were just molds then I took a closer look, then I noticed they are moving. Springtails! I can't really take any pictures since the springtails will be hard to notice.

What action should I be taking upon them?

EDIT: Some pictures http://imgur.com/a/3zz2T

Last edited:

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
If they are indeed spring-tails they are actually beneficial in tanks that will support them, they are the micro organisms that act as clean up crews. At they place I help out at they're mostly in the tanks of the moisture dependent T's etc as they're tanks are a little more humid. They kept the mold and mite population in check.

Last edited:

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
If they are indeed spring-tails they are actually beneficial in tanks that will support them, they are the micro organisms that act as clean up crews. At they place I help out at they're mostly in the tanks of the moisture dependent T's etc as they're tanks are a little more humid. They kept the mold and mite population in check.
So I should let them coexist with my T?

Sounds like a nice idea

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You're getting them for free, and I'm paying top dollar to have them shipped to me. Life isn't fair.

Like what was said above, if they are indeed springtails, then leave them be. They're quite beneficial. However, if they're mites... different story.

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
You're getting them for free, and I'm paying top dollar to have them shipped to me. Life isn't fair.

Like what was said above, if they are indeed springtails, then leave them be. They're quite beneficial. However, if they're mites... different story.
Can't really be sure if they are springtails or mites, they are very tiny and I have bad eyesight

They are super tiny white dots.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Can't really be sure if they are springtails or mites, they are very tiny and I have bad eyesight

They are super tiny white dots.
Well, springtails aren't dots. They're tiny, but they're elongated, like a tiny grain of rice.

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
I don't think these are springtails then. I need a magnifying glass

14pokies

Arachnoprince
if there's springtails in there you're keeping it too wet for an lp.
Not true if it's young they will benefit from slightly moist sub. It's as adults that they prefer some what drier conditions.

Those look like mites bro not springtails... Take a better pic if you can..

Last edited by a moderator:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I already killed the mites by baking the substrate for 10 minutes
Now I could be wrong but I doubt baking the substrate for that amount of time would of killed the mites.. So lets say it did though.. What about the enclosure the water dish the lid etc.. It's still going to have mites and eggs in it..

The best way that I know of to eradicate mites and there eggs is to remove the Tarantula from the enclosure into a container with no substrate or water dish and then freeze the Tarantulas entire enclosure with all decorations, water dish, substrate etc.. for 24hrs.. While the enclosure is in the freezer wipe down the area that the enclosure was on with a very mild bleach water solution like 1 table spoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water.

After 24 hrs take the enclosure out of the freezer and let it thaw untill it reaches suitable temps for your T it may take a full day to thaw.. When the enclosure is back to normal room temps put your T back in and hope that no mites hitched a ride on it..

(Now just because some people have a hard time understating things the Tarantula is not being frozen just it's enclosure ;))

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, 10 minutes may not be enough, especially if the substrate is damp. I'd actually say that it's not enough. I just don't understand the concept of reusing substrate when a 50lb bag is under $10 o_O

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
Now I could be wrong but I doubt baking the substrate for that amount of time would of killed the mites.. So lets say it did though.. What about the enclosure the water dish the lid etc.. It's still going to have mites and eggs in it..

The best way that I know of to eradicate mites and there eggs is to remove the Tarantula from the enclosure into a container with no substrate or water dish and then freeze the Tarantulas entire enclosure with all decorations, water dish, substrate etc.. for 24hrs.. While the enclosure is in the freezer wipe down the area that the enclosure was on with a very mild bleach water solution like 1 table spoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water.

After 24 hrs take the enclosure out of the freezer and let it thaw untill it reaches suitable temps for your T it may take a full day to thaw.. When the enclosure is back to normal room temps put your T back in and hope that no mites hitched a ride on it..

(Now just because some people have a hard time understating things the Tarantula is not being frozen just it's enclosure ;))
I also washed the enclosure with water and dish washing soap while I was baking the substrate

Melvin

Arachnopeon
How do spring tales get into the tanks? Do they find there way in or do they form under the soil. Researched everywhere & Come up with nothing.

boina

Lady of the mites
do they form under the soil
What? :rofl:

The microscopic eggs of the springtails may already be in the soil or they may just drift in on a whiff of air or dust.

Melvin

Arachnopeon
If you dont know. Then you dont know. Thanks for the reply as now i know lol.