Springtails and eggsacs

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I heard, though I can't recall from who or where, that springtails will go after the yummy stuff inside an eggsac if you leave the sac in an enclosure with springtails. My genic is dropping a sac right now (!!!!!!), but she has springtails in her enclosure. So is there any merit to this? I don't want to yank the sac ASAP but I will if it's better than leaving it. I'd rather turn it several times a day myself than lose the sac.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I really, really doubt it. Springtails should only eat dead and decaying matter. In fact, I'd think any springtails that happen to get rolled into the sac will quickly die from a lack of food. Nothing but speculation though, I admit.

Sorry to call on you again, but @Hisserdude, any advice here? :)

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I'd agree with @EulersK, and they likely can't easily navigate the webbing. My Euathlus sp. Red had a ton of springtails in with her, and she kept them out of her burrow by webbing the walls up quite a bit. Could see them wiggling on the other side, reminded me of old Doom days, in a creepy sort of way. Didn't seem like they could make their way through, but they could retreat back in the sub if they wanted.

Waiting for @Hisserdude as well. :headphone:

And @Chris LXXIX, since I've referenced an old skool video game. :angelic:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Springtails don't really go after anything living, even if it's immobile, like an egg. Now isopods could eat T eggs, but not springtails, no. If some of the eggs mold over and die then the springtails may snack on those, but not any of the healthy ones. Plus, they couldn't get through the silken walls of the sac anyway.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Springtails don't really go after anything living, even if it's immobile, like an egg. Now isopods could eat T eggs, but not springtails, no. If some of the eggs mold over and die then the springtails may snack on those, but not any of the healthy ones. Plus, they couldn't get through the silken walls of the sac anyway.
Thanks! This was one of those things that sounded at least plausible, so I didn't want to risk it.