Spring tails any thought?

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
So here's the deal We have a fairly large garden this summer that requires substantial amounts of water.Next to that we have an enclosure for two rather lovely three toed box turtles that we keep relatively wet during the summer months.Both the garden and the turtle enclosure are teeming with spring tails.My question to you fine people, what is the chance those little buggers will migrate into the house, should I start hosing off the kids before we come in or am I over reacting.I really don't want them in with my T's.Has anyone else had any problems with this scenario if so I could use some input. :worship:

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
springtails are great janitors. they eat mold, decaying insect parts, and in general do a great job of clean up. in my experience you would be over reacting. most dart frog keepers seed their enclosures with sprintails as part of a well rounded clean up crew. springtails are beneficial, the only problem I could see them causing is if there was enough food for them to have a huge boom in numbers, and then annoy the tarantula. drying out a tank will help to keep their numbers in check. again I've never known them to be anything but beneficial.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Good to Know Thanks.I recently introduced isopods as janitors I find them far less offensive,but if they don't hurt mt T's I guess i should not fear the spring tail.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
springtails seem to pop up out of the blue in a lot of vivariums and terrariums, possibly as hitchhikers in plant pots and soil. I wouldn't worry much about bringing them in with you. and as I said, should they show up in massive numbers simply adding more ventialtion and drying out the enclosure should go a long way toward controling their population.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i love springtails in my previous little aquarium for my 4 salamanders they cleaned up the poop and stuff along with the isopodes (well the ones the salamanders didnt munch on ahah)

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I guess I just place the "mite stigma" on these little guys before understanding the full benefit of the spring tail,when really its the predatory might that should concern me,anyone had a problem with those?