Spring is here!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My red tail gave me a surprise, I wasn't expecting this until May. Maybe that's why it was such an unsuccessful litter.:( My Photobucket is being hinky, so here are the photo captions:
1. Mama doing her Lamaze breathing... no epidural for her!
2. A new life coming into the world.
3. The disgusting just-born-but-not-cleaned-up-yet photo.
4. Two very healthy bouncing baby boas!!
5. Five still in I.C.U. Prognosis, not good.

Total count: 2 healthy, 5 not expected to live, 2 slugs, one long pink thing that resembled a snake, but not quite!

Last edited:

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Are they supposed to have a.. yolk/placenta thing? My sandboas didnt have stuff like that hanging from them.... could it be because theyre early? Did I just miss out on that part of it?

CONGRATS!! they are darling! Hope they do well for you. :D

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think they would still be being absorbed inside of the mother/? hope the pull through

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cute little things. hope they all make it. i got to quit looking at snake threads. im gonna end up buying more. resistance is futile. how big is the momma?

pwilfort

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Terri
How's the babies doing now and the mom? Good luck!
Penney

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well, the 5 I had separated never DID show signs of life. So that leaves the two survivors. And boy are those two feisty!!

Mom is 7', dad is 6'. They were both rescued from neglectful homes. Last year, the female became gravid, but I was giving her Baytril injections to clear up a nasty respiratory infection, so she gave me all slugs. It's what I expected, but her health was more important.

I'm told they come out attached to the sac thingie and to let the umbilical cord just fall off. I guess it's just like human kids, but the afterbirth follows each infant!:eek:

I expected more this year, wonder why there were only 10 total and two survivors? Anyway, since I came into this breeding thing accidentally, I'm more than thrilled to have two new little lives in my household! They won't be sold until they've eaten and pooped 3-4 times. I'm looking forward to a larger litter next year.... IF the female is still robust enough!!

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats to bad but at least you had 2 survive. hope they do well. had a ball python gave me 8 eggs which is really good for balls but only one hatched. it was kind of strange because she layed 7 in the nesting box and one in the water dish. the only one that lived was the one layed in the water dish. it was almost like she knew the others were bad. its always fun to have new little ones to raise.

pwilfort

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh! I'm sorry to hear that Terri, I hope the one does well,
hugs Penney