Spring is around the corner, who's going collecting this year, and for what?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So were talking weeks not months before some locations warm up enough to start collecting again. Anyone have any plans for adding to thier collections by collecting this year? If so, what species in particular are you hoping to find? I'm going to find D. whitei this year, and hopefully a few Psuedouroctonus sps. in C.A. Pretty resolute that they are on the agenda. Anyone else? :}

P.S. I'm leaving friday to go back to look for fluorescent rocks so I won't be on again for a while. I am taking the camera btw, so cross your fingers I can get some good pics here and there.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
So were talking weeks not months before some locations warm up enough to start collecting again. Anyone have any plans for adding to thier collections by collecting this year? If so, what species in particular are you hoping to find? I'm going to find D. whitei this year, and hopefully a few Psuedouroctonus sps. in C.A. Pretty resolute that they are on the agenda. Anyone else? :}

P.S. I'm leaving friday to go back to look for fluorescent rocks so I won't be on again for a while. I am taking the camera btw, so cross your fingers I can get some good pics here and there.
Good luck with searching! We hope you get some good pictures, and, personally, I have not seen many pictures of Psuedouroctonus spp. and am kind of hoping to see some...

I myself am not collecting, just waiting until some interesting species are avaliable. I have just gotton two Tityus bastosi and am really excited, so I think I am just sticking with those for now.:)

Anyway, good luck again!;)

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm moving the the Cayman islands in a couple months so I guess ill be collecting Heteronebo caymanensis. :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good luck with searching! We hope you get some good pictures, and, personally, I have not seen many pictures of Psuedouroctonus spp. and am kind of hoping to see some...

I myself am not collecting, just waiting until some interesting species are avaliable. I have just gotton two Tityus bastosi and am really excited, so I think I am just sticking with those for now.:)

Anyway, good luck again!;)
Thanks! It should be fun. I'm hoping to cover a lot of SoCal and SW TX. A lot of the Texas stuff will be familiar to me, but time around the outskirts of Big Bend for D. whitei should be really exciting, and of course all of Cali turf and species will be very new too. Hopefully I can do Genus i.d.'s at least.
I should have pictures of at least 40 species, and many habitat pictures. :drool:

Nice on the T. bastoi, very nice! :drool:

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

I'm moving the the Cayman islands in a couple months so I guess ill be collecting Heteronebo caymanensis. :)
What!? That's pretty cool. Is that still considered domestic shipment? :p Wait, what? Cayman Islands you say? How big is your suitcase? hehe

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I plan on doing some collecting this year. Arizona is such a big state that it's hard to see everything. I'm hoping to get to the Northern part of the state near the Utah/Nevada/Arizona border and collect some H spadix. I also would like to explore the SE part of the state in the Arizona Sky Island region. Another area I want to explore is the forested areas around the central NM/AZ border. I think I can get at least one trip done. Two would be great. Their's just to much to lookt at.

On a side note, why wait for spring. Winter in Arizona is one of the best times to collect and observe scorpions.

JOhn

Last edited:

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hunt Plans

I will be heading out to collect a few U. mordax when the weather is is right. That will be my local trip (less than 10 miles). In June I will be heading to The Badlands in Utah for a small look about and possible collection trip. my last big hunt of the summer will be in eastern Oregon for P. boreus.

All in all I hope to increase my collection of scorps by a dozen or so. not very exciting actually now that i post and read it. LOL

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I plan on doing some collecting this year. Arizona is such a big state that it's hard to see everything. I'm hoping to get to the Northern part of the state near the Utah/Nevada/Arizona border and collect some H spadix. I also would like to explore the SE part of the state in the Arizona Sky Island region. Another area I want to explore is the forested areas around the central NM/AZ border. I think I can get at least one trip done. Two would be great. Their's just to much to lookt at.

On a side note, why wait for spring. Winter in Arizona is one of the best times to collect and observe scorpions.

JOhn
That sounds pretty good John! Getting around the state a bit! Where are there scorps out and about right now? Maybe I should head that way in a few weeks. You think Tuscon/Phoneix regions have active scorps right now?
That would be fantastic to get a little jump. We live in a big country huh? It seems so small until you get out into it. Btw, down there by the sky islands is a mine with a bunch of fluorescent minerals...

I will be heading out to collect a few U. mordax when the weather is is right. That will be my local trip (less than 10 miles). In June I will be heading to The Badlands in Utah for a small look about and possible collection trip. my last big hunt of the summer will be in eastern Oregon for P. boreus.

All in all I hope to increase my collection of scorps by a dozen or so. not very exciting actually now that i post and read it. LOL
Sounds exciting to me! I've never had those species. A dozen scorpions is pretty exciting. That's more than many people have! Plus it's fun to get out and do it. Badlands will be amazing.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd like to get my hands on some Anuroctonus sp., Paruroctonus sp., and maybe some U. mordax.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That sounds pretty good John! Getting around the state a bit! Where are there scorps out and about right now? Maybe I should head that way in a few weeks. You think Tuscon/Phoneix regions have active scorps right now?
That would be fantastic to get a little jump. We live in a big country huh? It seems so small until you get out into it. Btw, down there by the sky islands is a mine with a bunch of fluorescent minerals...
Any of the desert areas have scorpions to find right now. I'm not sure how active they are, but if your not afraid of flipping rocks, you'll find them. FAll and winter is actually the best time to find a few species. Cool species like Superstitionia donensis are never above ground during the summer. They don't like the heat and the dryness of midsummer. I was out collecting around Apachee Junction near Pheonix in Dec and found Vaejovis species , a bunch of donensis and some cool pedes.

I've never checked into fluorescent minerals. I did a quick search and they seem to be fairly common in Arizona. I have a slight intrest in looking into minerals, mainly meteorite fields that are also somewhat common in Arizona. Two are located within an hour drive from my house. More cool stuff to look into.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont know much about Arizona scorpions, but I have found 7 scorpions this week here in Texas. Down here I dont think time of year much matters, they are pretty much always about if you look in the right places. Even found a tarantula two days ago.....................and then it snowed today, go figure.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd like to get my hands on some Anuroctonus sp., Paruroctonus sp., and maybe some U. mordax.
Nice HL! I've yet to see a Uroctonus or Anuroctonus specie yet. I'm planning on getting a few Paruroctonus this year too!

Any of the desert areas have scorpions to find right now. I'm not sure how active they are, but if your not afraid of flipping rocks, you'll find them. FAll and winter is actually the best time to find a few species. Cool species like Superstitionia donensis are never above ground during the summer. They don't like the heat and the dryness of midsummer. I was out collecting around Apachee Junction near Pheonix in Dec and found Vaejovis species , a bunch of donensis and some cool pedes.

I've never checked into fluorescent minerals. I did a quick search and they seem to be fairly common in Arizona. I have a slight intrest in looking into minerals, mainly meteorite fields that are also somewhat common in Arizona. Two are located within an hour drive from my house. More cool stuff to look into.
LoL, you know I don't mind flipping rock! That's interesting about the S.donensis. In TX, I would have better luck the warmer it got. My main concern isn't finding just a few scorps, but many, of different species. That's why I've been planning on waiting a bit. But, because of this John, I may just look for rocks for a week or two then head that way. Meteroites are cool and valuable, but you really need a metal detector if you are really going to do it. I've watched a lot of videos online about it, but haven't done that yet. The fluorescents are a little easier. Keep in mind that many minerals will fluoresce under short wave only. I have a short wave light, but I want to collect for scorpion tanks, so I don't think I'm taking it. Off the top of my head, I can tell you that the Phoenix area has a lot. Wickenburg and Bisbee are two other ones I can think of right now. They would make cool cage decarations though!

I dont know much about Arizona scorpions, but I have found 7 scorpions this week here in Texas. Down here I dont think time of year much matters, they are pretty much always about if you look in the right places. Even found a tarantula two days ago.....................and then it snowed today, go figure.
I hear ya gunslinger! I found some P. reddelli under rocks with inches of snow on the ground last year. But the pickings get a little slim when it's too cold. I'm not just going in my backyard though. I'm hitch-hiking, carrying all my gear, food, water, containers, batteries, etc.... I don't have a lot of money saved up, so when I go to collect, I need to find a bunch from different species. 7 scorpions a week would cause me to starve right now! :eek: I need to go where there are lots of species out.

P.s. just so this doesn't sound too crazy,... I don't usually get more than 10, maybe 20 (just a couple species) of one specie. I get many scorpions sometimes, but it might be 10 of 8 species. I'm not going out collecting dozens of any specie. ;)

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd like to get my hands on some Anuroctonus sp., Paruroctonus sp.
You can find them now, I have already found many SoCal vaejovids... And these, but you have to dig for them, not so cool...but still kinda fun little scorps: http://www.flickr.com/photos/i_am_subverted/5412015048/ (just together for the photo).

Other than those, Im hoping I find some Smeringurus mesaensis at some point, has been quite awhile since I have found them. Hopefully while looking for beetles and such(my main targets this year) I stumble across a few. :)

Nomadinexile, how long are you in the LA area?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can find them now, I have already found many SoCal vaejovids... And these, but you have to dig for them, not so cool...but still kinda fun little scorps: http://www.flickr.com/photos/i_am_subverted/5412015048/ (just together for the photo).

Other than those, Im hoping I find some Smeringurus mesaensis at some point, has been quite awhile since I have found them. Hopefully while looking for beetles and such(my main targets this year) I stumble across a few. :)

Nomadinexile, how long are you in the LA area?
Very nice Pockocki! And thanks for the info. ;)

I'm hoping to get some S. mesaensis too, but I really want S. vachoni. :drool:

I'll be in SoCal probably off and on for the next 14 weeks. I'd love to have it all planned out, but it really depends on many factors. How many am I finding, how much money is in my pocket, how long hitch-hiking takes to TX and maybe AZ. If I meet a single woman along the way, things may change...

So basically, it's all up in the air. My guess is that I will spend a lot of those 14 weeks in the LA Area. But I also need to go to Inyo, SD, SB, etc counties. So most likely, I will be gone for a couple/few weeks, then I will be in the city for a week. Then back out. That kind of thing.

Why? If you are interested in going out collecting with me, then give me a shout. I don't mind going alone, but its always more fun with company. :)

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should make a post over here then, the SCABIES Foreign Consulate. :)

Most of my hiking is done in the Orange county area, but if you make it to this general area, or when you are heading down to SD feel free to drop me a line, if it works out I would tag along or vice versa.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You should make a post over here then, the SCABIES Foreign Consulate. :)

Most of my hiking is done in the Orange county area, but if you make it to this general area, or when you are heading down to SD feel free to drop me a line, if it works out I would tag along or vice versa.
Post done, poll included. :p Thanks so much by the way. That was a great idea. It would be fun to meet up with others, especially some of you I "see" or talk to here.

It's highly likely I will be in OC at some point. If you would, email me at my user name at hushmail com, send your #, a city or area you'd want to meet up in, and if you have any kind of schedule, or whatever. I won't be online much soon. So after I get email, next will probably be a call. It'll be fun. :)
~ryan

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Couple more weeks and I will start my daily night searching for the c. sculpturatus, although last year I only found about 15 all summer. It will be interesting to see what the population is like this year.

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What!? That's pretty cool. Is that still considered domestic shipment? :p Wait, what? Cayman Islands you say? How big is your suitcase? hehe
Thanks!

I don't think I'll be trying to ship anything while I'm there, but Heteronebo isn't exactly the largest sp. so I have a feeling some may "find" their way back to the states. :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Couple more weeks and I will start my daily night searching for the c. sculpturatus, although last year I only found about 15 all summer. It will be interesting to see what the population is like this year.
Kathy back on the hunt. :) Sounds like you are accomplishing what you want right? How many did you find in the house last year?

Thanks!

I don't think I'll be trying to ship anything while I'm there, but Heteronebo isn't exactly the largest sp. so I have a feeling some may "find" their way back to the states. :)
Yeah, you never know. It does happen. :p

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Kathy back on the hunt. :) Sounds like you are accomplishing what you want right? How many did you find in the house last year?

Yeah, you never know. It does happen. :p
Nomad, only one in the house and I think that was because I brought boxes in from the garage. I must admit, it is nice not to live in constant fear of getting stung in the home. :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nomad, only one in the house and I think that was because I brought boxes in from the garage. I must admit, it is nice not to live in constant fear of getting stung in the home. :)
I love surprises, but I think that is one I'd pass on given the oppurtunity. ;)