Spot on Latrodectus?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Yeah I agree. I think at this point you oughta be in the clear. I don't think the yellow stuff was an organism.
After she passes on, hopefully after a long pleasant life, I would be tempted to give the yellow the quick organic-inorganic test. Just a hunch, intuition, is telling me it's just some odd FOD.
BTW I think it was @schmiggle that mentioned this. Basic rule of initial diagnostics wasn't followed. Take each symptom on it's own merit. Don't glop them together.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
After she passes on, hopefully after a long pleasant life, I would be tempted to give the yellow the quick organic-inorganic test. Just a hunch, intuition, is telling me it's just some odd FOD.
BTW I think it was @schmiggle that mentioned this. Basic rule of initial diagnostics wasn't followed. Take each symptom on it's own merit. Don't glop them together.
What "tests" would you recommend?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
What "tests" would you recommend?
Well, it would be academic mostly to satisfy curiosity. You could always start with H2O solubility with her right now which might give a rough ballpark. If the splotch is water soluble it is likely inorganic, that is, not an organism. Tell her to hold very still while you swab it with a wet q-tip. Or, if you could somehow remove a little of the yellow you take the material and slowly heat it while observing very very closely maybe using a magnifying glass. If there are tiny bright flashes as it begins to burn it is reacting with oxygen and is more likely to be organic. That would at least clue you a little as to an organism vs inert FOD. Also there is the glaringly obvious test. If it doesn't change shape or color at all over an extended period of time it is probably benign.
(Shades of reporting for work in the life sciences lab and the head honcho indicating a stack of trays with thousands of samples while instructing, "Burn those. I need to get a paper out before noon". A common lab procedure is to execute numerous ballpark tests until you get weighted or overwhelming probability.) :grumpy:

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Well, it would be academic mostly to satisfy curiosity. You could always start with H2O solubility with her right now which might give a rough ballpark. If the splotch is water soluble it is likely inorganic, that is, not an organism. Tell her to hold very still while you swab it with a wet q-tip. Or, if you could somehow remove a little of the yellow you take the material and slowly heat it while observing very very closely maybe using a magnifying glass. If there are tiny bright flashes as it begins to burn it is reacting with oxygen and is more likely to be organic. That would at least clue you a little as to an organism vs inert FOD. Also there is the glaringly obvious test. If it doesn't change shape or color at all over an extended period of time it is probably benign.
(Shades of reporting for work in the life sciences lab and the head honcho indicating a stack of trays with thousands of samples while instructing, "Burn those. I need to get a paper out before noon". A common lab procedure is to execute numerous ballpark tests until you get weighted or overwhelming probability.) :grumpy:
The wet cotton swab is a good idea. I haven't looked in a couple days to see if there is any change I'll be doing that later this afternoon.