Spot on B.Smithi

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I purchased a B.Smithi sling this morning.1/2".
After a close inspection of her abdoman I notice a dark cirlcle on the top just above the spinnerets.
Is this normal she is my first B.Smithi.
Jason

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It sounds like the reflective patch. It's normal . Don't worry. I'd need a pick to be sure, but I am 98.6 %

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very normal this is the early development of the urticating itching hairs she will kick at you when she gets older....... she will even kick those at you when she is a baby.
They are not really friendly hairs. Its a natural defense mech they have for predators. When startled or threatened they will readly kick off those hairs they float in a fine cloud in the air and irritate the skin and boy oh boy can they itch. You dont have to worry about that till she is bigger though around 3-4"

Some of my females kick some dont it all depends but that is what that patch is.

omni

Arachnobaron
:} I thought the smithis are cute so I had to have one. It was so funny watching it try to flick hairs at .25" I got mine 2 wks ago. Ive heard some ppls smithi flicks, others don't. As a sp., are they more likely to, or not?