Spot-cleaning after H. lividium

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Suppose you own an H. lividium and want to spot-clean bolus, but s/he eats crickets near the bottom of their burrow and it's rather deep and also runs along the length of one side of the terrarium. Long tweezers are obviously out of the question. S/he also doesn't deposit the bolus at the burrow's entrance, because that would be too easily evidently. What would you do?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We don't worry about boluses down in the burrow. If the T brings them up we remove them, but otherwise we leave them.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We don't worry about boluses down in the burrow. If the T brings them up we remove them, but otherwise we leave them.
With no consequences from the decomposition? That would be my only real worry.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With no consequences from the decomposition? That would be my only real worry.
We have isopods in our Haplopelma enclosure to take care of that, but others that don't, also don't tear up the burrow to get the boluses either. The same goes for molts, if the T molts down in the burrow, leave the molt unless it brings it up.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you dont have T. tomentosa or other rollie pollies then i would feed it smaller more frequently and preferably live insects, not meat frozen pinkies or etc etc, that way the prey will be out and about if the spider is full or ready to molt. and IME big food items caused me more issues with mites than anything else.