sponge, cotton, or water dish?

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was wondering which is best for the T to use for drinking....The guy at the local pet shop say to use cotton so the crickets dont drown in the water dish. any thoughts?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
no cotton, no sponge, just good ole water! If you must, put some pebbles in the bottom for the stupid crickets :)
In general, when I feed my spiders, they take the cricket immediately, and I don't have to worry about drowning incidents. However, it doesn't always happen like that, and I have on occasion found a dead cricket body in the water dish.
Better that then bacteria heaven, as the sponge or cotton ball will provide.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No cotton, No sponge, just fresh clean water. Cotton and sponges grow bacteria witch could kill you Tarantula. If your really worried about the crickets use water bites, though I dont think you should have to worry about the crickets.

Edit: Hehe Holley beat me to it.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
No cotton, No sponge, just fresh clean water. Cotton and sponges grow bacteria witch could kill you Tarantula. If your really worried about the crickets use water bites, though I dont think you should have to worry about the crickets.

Edit: Hehe Holley beat me to it.
great minds think alike! JINX!

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah at the pet shop they had some pink toes, about 1.5-2" with a cotton ball in their dish...

besides that, i thought the pinktoes were very cool walking on the glass...

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
yeah at the pet shop they had some pink toes, about 1.5-2" with a cotton ball in their dish...

Pinktoes are very cool. As far as the cotton goes, a lot petstore staff simply just don't know better. Their intent is good just miss guided.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Anyone use "Easy Water" or "Gutload" as a water substitute for their T? I know it's good for the cricks, but has anyone tried it in the T's tank? They do get most of their water from their food, so I don't imagine it would hurt, and if the cricks are eating it, they get it anyway...

N.

"Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave" -Labyrinth (yes, great minds...)

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I find pet stores to be quite shocking sometimes. When I brought home my rio, the man had it in a small cage with no water whatsoever and green snake sand. The man reaches in the tank grabs the t. and puts it in a deli container with wood shavings. I engaged him in simple conversations only to find out that he didn't know tarantulas bite, he didn't know they were venemous, and didn't know they could flick urticulating hairs. If i had come a few days later, the man would have put the juvenile in the same cage with a full grown under fed rosie.Peoplewho know very little or nothing about tarantulas should not be allowed to have these magnificent creatures in their posesion. It is so unfortunate that they are sometimes a monopoly and our the only source of our beloved arachnids. When you do buy from a pet store, don't just think of getting what you want, think of the tarantula too and how you maybe able to rescue it or even save it's life.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin

A bit of trivia for you, most, if not all tarantulas can climb glass, plastic and just about any other slick surface.
Ed

Shadrach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I personally hate the GutLoad stuff! I agree plain ol' water is the best! Actually the gutload should not be eaten by the cricket's if so you'll start having several dead cricket's! I speak from experiance! Espically the one's of you who might have cricket's for other reasons (lizards) the gutload can crystalize and cause impaction in reptiles when a cricket eats it and the reptile eats the cricket. I'm not sure what the out come would be for a T if it got ahold of one of these crickets?

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Invent water??

Water in it's basic form: wet.,,, is the best thing for every living thing. I.e. water in a waterdish.

I mean here we have been around on earth for so many thousands of years and other organism has been around waaay longer and we try to reinvent water into an another form of "kinda" water?!?!?!?:D

With crickets it's like I wrote before, IME, some time back that my crickets death rate has been nearly 0 since I clean out the cricket cages ( I have one for big crickets and one for small crickets) every other day and 2 minutes nuke for each cage in the microwave during the cleaning.
Oatmeal,sallad and some of the ready cricketbits food for the crickets and my T's they grow like
A.Schwarzenegger once did :D
Touch wood, after 7 months of T's no mites yet.

Kenny