Split enclosures?

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I'm thinking about taking 2 of my 10 gallon tanks and splitting them by putting plexiglass in the middle. But I was wondering if this could cause the scorpions stress, because I would have 2 species seperated by a thin wall. Does anyone have a split enclosure like this. I'm sure they could sense the other species if they where both near the glass? Just for reference 1 tank would be for a Tytus stigmurus/ centruroides gracilis, and the other would be centruroides vittatus\ hottentotta hottentotta. Doing this would really open up some new space for some new scorps, if anyone wanted to know why :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I have a 3-way 20 gallon I divided for my flat rock species. It doesn't see to cause them stress. Mine have been doing just fine (not eating, but that's normal for them ;)) That sounds awesome as a project! If you do really worry about it, why not use 2 plexi sheets? If you space the two about a half an inch apart, you can have a barrier that they can't bother each other through. Personally, I was planning on having divided tanks for most of my scorps in the future :D Probably can't sense each other either, but there are ways around it.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I have a 3-way 20 gallon I divided for my flat rock species. It doesn't see to cause them stress. Mine have been doing just fine (not eating, but that's normal for them ;)) That sounds awesome as a project! If you do really worry about it, why not use 2 plexi sheets? If you space the two about a half an inch apart, you can have a barrier that they can't bother each other through. Personally, I was planning on having divided tanks for most of my scorps in the future :D Probably can't sense each other either, but there are ways around it.
I think I saw a picture of your setup on another thread. I'd love to do it to both my tanks and even my 20 long that I have. I just worry about them being stressed and not breeding. But if your flat rocks do ok then maybe I have nothing to worry about :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If you do worry, then I'd just put two panes of acrylic with a small space between them. That way, you could still have the space and they couldn't bump into the acrylic and bother each other. Not sure how multiple different species will act together, but I'm pretty sure it will be fine :D Would love to see pics when you have them ;)

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
It'll be awhile, I'll use my 20 gallon for a then my other 2 10 gallons to house my mutiple bark scorpions. I think I could make some pretty cool enclosures with it :)

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I think I saw a picture of your setup on another thread. I'd love to do it to both my tanks and even my 20 long that I have. I just worry about them being stressed and not breeding. But if your flat rocks do ok then maybe I have nothing to worry about :)
Adding to what WeightedAbyss75 mentioned with the two panes, they also make black plexiglass. That would add another stress barrier I would think, and it's also usually cheaper so that's a plus.

I don't have any experience with scorps, but I do keep two separate species of tarantulas in a split 10 gallon. And it's pretty obvious they either have no clue or simply don't care.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure they'll still be able to sense each other, if not from vibration than through smell, but I don't think you'll have to worry about it too much. If they don't like it it's pretty easy for them to move to the other side of the enclosure to get away from it. Maybe make sure the hides are at opposite ends? Or at least away from the partition.

Definitely post pics, guys, I'm curious to see what all you come up with! Hoping to do something like this in the future when I actually have space for 5-10 gal enclosures lol.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I divided a 40 gallon tank with plexiglass, and over the years I've had everything from scorpions to amblypygids, to tarantulas in one side or the other at various times.

I've never had any issues.

Just make sure that the plexiglass goes all the way up to the top. If you have a screen top that fits over the outside of the enclosure, you may have to break the plastic rim that a glass/acrylic top would sit on, so that the divider would be level with the top of the tank and there'd be no gap between the divider and the lid.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Finally got around to splitting my 20 gallon. I'm pretty happy with the results. Now I just need to clean all the glass lol.
Looks good. Electrical tape works great to cover up the divider seems on the front.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Finally got around to splitting my 20 gallon. I'm pretty happy with the results. Now I just need to clean all the glass lol.
So I have a couple of empty encolusres this size laying around from craigslist aquisitions. I showed my wife a picture of yours with the dividers and said I think I'm going to do this. She said "okay." We didn't discuss what will go in them. It is implied that I get to fill them with animals right?

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
So I have a couple of empty encolusres this size laying around from craigslist aquisitions. I showed my wife a picture of yours with the dividers and said I think I'm going to do this. She said "okay." We didn't discuss what will go in them. It is implied that I get to fill them with animals right?
She didn't say no and you could argue that it saves on space and cost! It only cost me 20$ and that was because I bought some pretty thick acrylic.