Spitting Spiders

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone ever caught any of these? Are fairl common or rare?

thanks,
John

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,
yesterday I cought 2 in our flat - Scytodes thoracica. Seems like they´re pretty common in our area

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I live in Georgia in the states so far I have never seen any here where I live. I maybe just out of their range. Have you ever seen any for sale in the pet trade?

thanks,
John

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi John,
some time ago there were some Scytodes from French Guyana (at least I think so) in the pettrade here in Germany.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went down to Sulphur, OK last fall and found 3 under one rock and no professional arachnologist has been able to key them to species yet! The three of them did well and have provided many in the arachnoculturist community with little ones- it's just that no one knows what species of Scytodes they are!

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, seems every time I read about spiders, the opening paragraph talks about the low percentage of described species. So, you'd think it wouldn't that far fetched for you to have discovered an undescribed specie!

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, the fact that nobody is able to ID them to speciesleel doesn´t make in a new species...
If you take a look at WSC there´re 2 species described for the USA:
Scytodes poenitens & S. zapatana.
But that doesn´t mean that other described species can´t occur in the USA - they´re just not described from there.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I never said it wasn't a described specie. I said it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, although I imagine most newly described species are from tropical rain forests.

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
spitting spider questions

How far does their range extend? Can they be found in Georgia? I have lived in Georgia all of my life so far I have never seen them here.

thanks,
John

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well I guess they´re pretty small and hard to find... I´ve found those two only because they were sitting on a white wall. S. thoracica has a BL of less than 1cm.
I don´t know if Scytodes sp. occurs in your area but the fact that you haven´t seen one so far doesn´t say anything.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
As a kid I used to find some in LA (Lower Alabama ;P). This was 30 years ago. I usually found them in the same kinds of places I found Widows. I always found more than one together.

Not sure where you are in GA, but this area is a good deal south of Atlanta. There was a much greater diversity/density of life there than anywhere I've seen in GA, except for the Okefenokee.