Spiracles

Kendar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am having a problem with mites on my AGB. I am pretty sure they are the good kind, they're just getting out of hand. I heard that if you use vaseline on a q-tip, to watch out for the spiracles. Now, my question is, where the heck are the spiracles on an AGB??

Thanks a lot! :)

Kendra

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just wouldn't use vaseline. The fluff of a q-tip usually is enough to snag the mites in the fibers. Then you just give it a good thwack against a solid surface to knock them lose (preferably not back onto the pede :))

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The spiracles are laterally close to the base of the legs. They are quite small and millipedes can't move/close them independent. That is also the reason for curling up to prevent transpiration. If you would use vaseline you might close them and the millipede could die of suffocation.

Like Mantis said use only a Q-tip or a brush to get them away. You can additional remove them by washing with lukewarm water. The millipede will habituate to this procedure after a few times. If you want to remove them all you have to do this for several days. Cause there might be any eggs you have to repeat this one time per week for several weeks. Normally then all mites should be removed. This workes very well. But checking them ocassionally for mites would be fine.

Last edited: