Spids and packages and cold(here we go again?)

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since the last thread partly about how to send packages containing spids in cold didn't quite catch on, I'll make a new shiny thread just about it.

Question : You american people all talk about ordering this and sending that all the time, and in the northern hemisphere winter is now. So can you still send (recieve) spids where you wish or do you keep to dealers close to you/ and or live in a warmer area ?

If the answer is : "Of course we use our super-resilient heat-a-pads. They work wonders in icy climates." ,
then pray tell me what/how .

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys

Question : You american people all talk about ordering this and sending that all the time, and in the northern hemisphere winter is now. So can you still send (recieve) spids where you wish or do you keep to dealers close to you/ and or live in a warmer area ?

If the answer is : "Of course we use our super-resilient heat-a-pads. They work wonders in icy climates." ,
then pray tell me what/how .
I usually try to wait till it's 30 degrees F or more before I ship spiders, but there are reputable dealers who do it as low as 20 degrees and guarantee results, meaning there usually isn't a problem. Using a big box with lots of high quality insulation is the first part of the equation; a good 40 hour heat pack (or 2, or 3) is another, and a reliable overnight shipping service is the third. Now and then even the most reliable services let you down, unfortunately, but I make sure #1 and #2 are up to snuff, and so far have had no problems even when an extra day in transit (or 2, or 3) was involved.

Joy

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Westside;P I live where its warm. So, I guess if i'm really jonsing for a new critter while its really cold out, I will order from someone who also kicks it on the west coast.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Spids and packages and cold(here we go again?)

Originally posted by Joy
I usually try to wait till it's 30 degrees F or more before I ship spiders, but there are reputable dealers who do it as low as 20 degrees and guarantee results, meaning there usually isn't a problem. Using a big box with lots of high quality insulation is the first part of the equation; a good 40 hour heat pack (or 2, or 3) is another, and a reliable overnight shipping service is the third. Now and then even the most reliable services let you down, unfortunately, but I make sure #1 and #2 are up to snuff, and so far have had no problems even when an extra day in transit (or 2, or 3) was involved.

Joy

Thanks yoy!
-6.6 degrees C ..yeah..that would probably be around average now. What kind of insulation would you advice? Frigolite? Don't know if you call it that, in case you don't; you know that white stuff that's easy to pull asunder into little bits? Common in packages cotaining fragile stuff?
And heat packs..only heat pack I've ever seen is the one you hit and it warms your hands for a few hours...bound to be more advanced kinds though, considering.
Hmm, yes the 'reliable overnight shipping services' might be a bit troublesome since I doubt there exists any such thing from germany to sweden, but I hope I could find some option taking less than 5 days..

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Re: Re: Re: Spids and packages and cold(here we go again?)

Originally posted by Vys
What kind of insulation would you advice? Frigolite? Don't know if you call it that, in case you don't; you know that white stuff that's easy to pull asunder into little bits? Common in packages cotaining fragile stuff?
Never heard it called that before. We call it Styrofoam over here :)

Scott

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Spids and packages and cold(here we go again?)

Originally posted by Vys
Thanks yoy!
-6.6 degrees C ..yeah..that would probably be around average now. What kind of insulation would you advice? Frigolite? Don't know if you call it that, in case you don't; you know that white stuff that's easy to pull asunder into little bits? Common in packages cotaining fragile stuff?
And heat packs..only heat pack I've ever seen is the one you hit and it warms your hands for a few hours...bound to be more advanced kinds though, considering.
Hmm, yes the 'reliable overnight shipping services' might be a bit troublesome since I doubt there exists any such thing from germany to sweden, but I hope I could find some option taking less than 5 days..
Yes, frigolite translates to styrofoam, as Scott says. It's what most people use. I tend to combine it with bubble wrap, and I have seen crumpled newspapers used the same way.

There are special heat packs made for shipping reptiles that last 40 hours. I don't know if they're available over there, but I can give you a US source for them if all else fails.

Joy

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you.
I shall keep you updated on my efforts , now I just have to get german people to realize what you said.

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it's realy cold I won't ship if it's gonna take more than 2 days and even then I don,t like it .I think the whole trick is a well insulated box ,good heat pack and NEXT DAY DELIVERY and if you miss any part of the equasion you're going to end up with a bunch of dead bugs and a p.o.ed costumer

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been having success using styrofoam containers. You can buy the disposable "beer coolers" for pretty cheap... I pack the spiders inside them wrapped in rags and long life hot packs. Then I close the styrofoam lid and I wrap the styrofoam with packing material inside a box. This has worked well so far and I have only lost 1 spider out of the 30 I shipped in the freezing cold.

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I get brine shrimp containers from a local wholesale warehouse and they fit perfectly inside of the airborne boxes .I put a heat pack in one end and tape it . and then just seal the airborne box but I ALWAYS insist on next day delivery.That way we don't have to replace very many spiders. All in all I'd say we've had realy good sucess with the shipping methods we use. I actualy worry more about the heat in summer than shipping in cold weather