Spiders..

Mikko

Arachnopeon
Hi!
I just received some new animals to my collection:
10 Cupiennius salei
3 Cupiennius getazi
4 Heteropoda sp. (One is carring an eggsack)

I wonder if anyone here have kept any of these species. If so, maybe you could write down something about them because it´s very hard to find any fact about them.
The only good site i found is www.isopoda.net
/Mikko Seppänen

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Great species! Ctenidae and Heteropodidae are awesome! Are you looking for care info?

Both families are very similar and easy to keep. Give them several vertical retriets, such as cork-bark and fake plants and keep them somewhat humid by misting a few times a week, they will also drink the water drops. Just a couple inches of potting soil should be fine for substrate. Adults of both families will readily take adult crickets and even small frogs and lizards as food. Babies will take flightless fruit flies.

Alex S.

Mikko

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info Alex!.
All of them are just spiderlings except the one with "babys". But it´s amazing to see how fast these guys grow.
I forgot to mension yesterday that i also received 3 Holconia immanis, any info about them too Alex?
It´s so har to find any info except www.isopoda.net and the info i got from the guy who sold them to me.
/Mikko Seppänen

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mikko
Thanks for the info Alex!.
All of them are just spiderlings except the one with "babys". But it´s amazing to see how fast these guys grow.
I forgot to mension yesterday that i also received 3 Holconia immanis, any info about them too Alex?
It´s so har to find any info except www.isopoda.net and the info i got from the guy who sold them to me.
/Mikko Seppänen
Hi,Mikko-

When I had the African Heteropodidae sp. , I used to trap tiny little gnats by using a lamp.

Not a good idea- one tiny Heteropodidae escaped.

Here's a suggestion:take a glass, and invert a funnel, fill it about a quarter full with rotten bananas/old fruit and whatever crawls/flies in, you can feed to the spiders.

Note: just make certain the funnel hole is tiny enough for only, well, TINY;) little bugs to crawl in.

John

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Mikko, no problem. Holconia immanis can be kept very similar to the other spiders, with lots of cork-bark and fake plants etc. But of course H. immanis will need a large arboreal enclosure as they are a very large (6"+ legspan) spider as adults. An occasional small lizard for the adult immanis, such as a gecko or anole, will provide for extra protien and wide shallow water dish can also be used since this species gets large enough. Glad to help. :)

Alex S.

Mikko

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys for all the help. I´m getting really excited about these spiders, cant wait till they get larger. And if i have any more questions about these awesome spiders i know where to search for help :)
/Mikko Seppänen