SPIDERS SEIZED!!!

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I wonder what three types of tarantulas are legal in Maine? I'll have to look into that.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Wow! It says in the article that only three species of tarantulas are legal to own in Maine without a permit. That was hard for me to believe -- this is the USA, and we have freedom, right? -- but I looked it up, and it's true.
The three species on Maine's "unrestricted" list are:

Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Grammostola rosea

If I lived there, I think I would put inventive species labels on my cages. "Yes, officer, this bright orange tarantula from Afric.. uh, I mean South America, is Grammostola rosea. Of course, this brilliant blue arboreal from Indi... I mean Argentina is Grammostola pulchripes."
"Oh, why do my 100+ spiders all look so different, yet all belong to just these three species? Well, you have to take into account the sexual dimorphism, which is considerable, and then there's the instar. Don't you know: tarantulas change color, size, and shape from one molt to the next?"

Last edited:

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Wow! It says in the article that only three species of tarantulas are legal to own in Maine without a permit. That was hard for me to believe -- this is the USA, and we have freedom, right? -- but I looked it up, and it's true.
The three species on Maine's "unrestricted" list are:

Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Grammostola rosea

If I lived there, I think I would put inventive species labels on my cages. "Yes, officer, this bright orange tarantula from Afric.. uh, I mean South America, is Grammostola rosea. Of course, this brilliant blue arboreal from Indi... I mean Argentina is Grammostola pulchripes."
"Oh, why do my 100+ species all look so different, yet all belong to just these three species? Well, you have to take into account the sexual dimorphism, which is considerable, and then there's the instar. Don't you know: tarantulas change color, size, and shape from one molt to the next?"
Funny!!! Who in the heck made up this list of 3 Grammastolas?!

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Funny!!! Who in the heck made up this list of 3 Grammastolas?!
Mainiacs, or maybe someone from that infamous animal welfare activist group known as the Grammostola Groupies -- they're mostly anonymous, but we have one here in our midst: she calls herself @Vanessa Sarges.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Someone didn't have their priorities straight. One would think if you were in a situation were you had to live in a motel, then you would first sell the tarantulas for extra cash or re-home them. o_O

Royalty

Arachnoknight
" Old World species of tarantulas such as the Poecilotheria Metallica can be a bit more aggressive towards humans than the New World species. "

I mean that is ...kind of right but I would not say p.metallica is the feistiest of the Old Worlds. I guess saying it is fast and likes to hide does not make it sound as scary.

Someone didn't have their priorities straight. One would think if you were in a situation were you had to live in a motel, then you would first sell the tarantulas for extra cash or re-home them. o_O
As much as I hate seeing someone have their t's taken away, I think sneaking them in like that is shady <edit>. Anyone looking to keep their t's somewhere should have permission.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I dont see why its such a big deal in Norway anyway. Its pitch black and covered in ice half the year with little invertebrate fauna, its not like any species of T would pose an ecological risk if it managed to escape

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I dont see why its such a big deal in Norway anyway. Its pitch black and covered in ice half the year with little invertebrate fauna, its not like any species of T would pose an ecological risk if it managed to escape
Norway, ME in USA