Spiders of Pennsylvania

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all!
I'm going to visit Bethlehem in Pennsylvania since 2 to12 March where my girlfriend is for research purposes.
I understand it will be still quite cold, but what do you think I could find if I go on the fileld?
I know there's Phidippus audax for example, but is here anyone who could help me to find some interesting spots to look for?
I'm also interested on see and photographing salamanders and Amphibians in general.
So, PA friends! Let me know what I could see in your country! ;)
Thanks
Ema

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi all!
I'm going to visit Bethlehem in Pennsylvania since 2 to12 March where my girlfriend is for research purposes.
I understand it will be still quite cold, but what do you think I could find if I go on the fileld?
I know there's Phidippus audax for example, but is here anyone who could help me to find some interesting spots to look for?
I'm also interested on see and photographing salamanders and Amphibians in general.
So, PA friends! Let me know what I could see in your country! ;)
Thanks
Ema
you really wont find much around this time, especially around bethlehem. if you go anywhere around southampton/huntingdon valley/warminster, you might find some beetles and thats it. well, thats all i could find this year anyway. if you looked in warm spots, like sheds or garages, you might find a few spiders though. good luck.
btw: for reptiles/amphibians, go to the pocanoes (i think thats how its spelled.) i go there all the time looking for amphibians. you should be able to see a few red spotted newts, not many though. your better off looking in the summer.

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you!
I can understand, cause I know it quite cold at the moment...
But I'll try anyway and I'll let you know!
Thanks
Ema

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you!
I can understand, cause I know it quite cold at the moment...
But I'll try anyway and I'll let you know!
Thanks
Ema
no problem. if you deciede to go to the pocanoes to search for amphibians, be careful if you look around areas with lots of rocks. i almost got bit by a copperhead last year searching around areas like that. (i think theres a better chance of finding them during the winter. ive never seen one during the summer.)

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's really good for me! cause I'm firstly an herpetologist and seeing a copperhead would be very interesting. I know venomous spiders and I've the "right respect" of them (I also work with vipers here in Italy).
I recently bought Amphibians and Reptiles of Pennsylvania, that's quite a good book to have.
Ema

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's really good for me! cause I'm firstly an herpetologist and seeing a copperhead would be very interesting. I know venomous spiders and I've the "right respect" of them (I also work with vipers here in Italy).
I recently bought Amphibians and Reptiles of Pennsylvania, that's quite a good book to have.
Ema
im becoming a herpetologist and ive acually picked up both copperheads and rattlesnakes with my bare hands. i dont do it because i can. i do it for the animals sake. (when there laying on roads, anywhere they'll be killed, etc.) im very lucky that ive never been bit. if you know venomous spiders, maybe you could help me. do you know what spiders are venomous in pennsylvania (besides black widows)?
if you have any questions about reptiles/amphibians that you find, feel free to message me.

orcrist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Other than widows, Yellow sac spiders can be unpleasant occasionally, sort of like a lesser brown recluse bite.

Jonathan Wilhelm

Arachnopeon
also watch out for the Timber Rattlesnakes in the Poconos and Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area along the NJ/PA border. It will still be cold and most likely snow so I don't know how much you will find. Florida is were you need to go in the winter. But just check out garages and sheds you never know.

Last edited:

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok! I know that Florida would be better at this time, but my girlfriend is actually "the animal" I'm going for this time! ;)
Anyway, I'll do some tours around to see at least birds and squirrels if spiders and snakes are impossible! :)
I saw a picture of the place made yesterday and it was quite snowy, so I don't expect to see much, but I'll try!
Thanks
Ema

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You'll find plenty even in the cold if you look under semi-loose bark. Watch for the characteristic Salticid hammock that they hide in, and most of the ground spiders will simply be sitting on the earth or in the cracks between the underside of downed logs.

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks, it's the same technique I use here in winter for Italian jumping spiders...
Cheers
Ema