1. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
  2. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Spiders of North America - Ubick et al. (2005)

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by GoTerps, Jan 5, 2006.

1. GoTerps

GoTerps Arachnoking Old Timer

Advertisement
    Spiders of North America - an identification manual

Ubick, D., P. Paquin, P.E. Cushing, and V. Roth (eds). 2005. Spiders of North America: an identification manual. American Arachnological Society. 377 pages.
    ISBN 0-9771439-0-2

"The purpose of this manual is to provide a means of identifying spiders to the generic level while also incorporating a single source of bibliographic information to facilitate identification to species of spiders of the continental United States and Canada."

This is by far the BEST book on the spiders of North America.

This tomb of information is a major update to Spider Genera of North America (Roth 1985, 1994).

This amazing 375-page manual is composed of 73 chapters and an appendix. These include a great introduction, an overview of our current understanding of spider phylogeny, a key to all North American spider families, keys to the genera in each of the 68 families, a dedicated chapter on each family, a glossary and pronunciation guide, an etymological dictionary of NA spider genus names, and a bibliography.

The glossary, etymological dictionary, and bibliography alone are worth the price of this book.

I encorage all of those interested in North American spiders to do 2 things... first join the American Arachnological Society... and second purchase a copy of this manual. The manual is $7 cheaper for AAS members.

The manual can be purchased by visiting the AAS homepage I linked to above.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan Arachnoknight Old Timer

I can't agree more.
    This manual is very technical, but to the point. The thing I liked most about it is that it doesn't leave you in the dark. They go about covering information so that you know exactly what they are talking about in later chapters. It starts out easy, but doesn't miss any details. A tremendous resource. I go to it often!!

3. Nerri1029

Nerri1029 Chief Cook n Bottlewasher Old Timer

Just received mine a few days ago, and already have used it a few times.

Thorough doesn't begin to describe it.

the book is 377 pages.. full sized and none of the space is wasted.
    Drawings are well done and easy to understand.

VERY VERY good book for the serious spider enthusiast. ( which I hope to be someday )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.