spiders in my backyard

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
took some pics the other day while i had a tarantula out to take advantage of the sun for some photos. decided i'd look around the yard for any spiders and came across a number of them.

not sure of any ids, but the last one is an Argiope i'm pretty sure.

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice photos there if you find out what kind of spider that first one is post the name i would like to look into getting on of them. great photos again.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Wow, that fisrt one is a serious looker. Im suprised I've never seen those offered for sale.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Younger animals in the genus tend to be brighter, the colors usually mellow out at they age.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
cool...thanks for the info. i think i saw a different color morph of this spider..or something close to it when i was up in the gainsville area of florida. i didn't manage to get a picture of it though. :wall:

didn't find this spider in my backyard...but it was on the ceiling in my room. i caught him and let him go, not after taking some pictures though.

not sure what it is exactly..just guessing that its some type of Lycosid.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nope, that's a Leucauge venusta, or Orchard Spider, a VERY common species here in the Southeastern US. They are beautiful, but also quite small, so I'd guess that, and the need for space enough to construct that aerial web, would put people off from keeping these.

pitbulllady
Although their webs are rather small for an orb weaver; about 9" in diameter. They are very common here in Atlanta.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
saw this one outside tonight while i was doing some grilling.

not sure what it is though. kinda looks like a small huntsman or something. it was about 1" in leg span though...maybe even a little less than that.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
just was in the backyard getting something i left outside and noticed this other spider. don't know what this one either. :wall:

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
was shaving my head and beard in the backyard and noticed my hair was falling into a spider web with this Argiope sitting in the middle of it. i shifted over a few feet then came back with the camera a little later. the way it was angled made it pretty much impossible for me to get a decent shot of it's dorsal side unfortunately. oh and the liquid is water..it has been raining a lot today.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
rather than start up another thread, i'm just gonna post these here. was on my lunch break..noticed a spot on the wall in my room that wasn't there before..and it turned out to be this:

huntsman?

dorsal

ventral

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
just took a better pic of it since it was more spread out. any ideas?

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks definitely like a Sparassidae to me, maybe some Heteropoda species...

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
thanks. now that i look back..it looks like it is the same species as the spider on the first page of this thread, just a much smaller one.