Spiders found in Connecticut

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Has anyone on this forum ever come across Latrodectus variolus or Phidippus purpuratus in the state of Connecticut? I've been looking for a while but I still can't find them. And yes, they inhabit some parts of the state according to my research.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Something to help with your search for the Phid would be to try to find upland areas where tiger beetles are. Cicindela formosa would be one that should be fairly well documented, so there should be records on BugGuide. Might not give you a perfect distribution, but at least it'll be a starting point. C. lecontei and C. scutellaris should be good options too.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm going to head to a town an hour away in late summer, a little girl found two black widows in her yard in that area. You could read more about it here http://wtnh.com/2016/10/24/girl-finds-2-black-widow-spiders-in-her-madison-backyard/ . For that species of jumper, they like sandy, xeric climates so I'm going to have to search pretty hard.
The spelling errors are annoying, and the quote of it being "creepy and scary" was also annoying.

Interesting article, nevertheless. I am pretty sure various Latrodectus are found in most states.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Thanks for the tips @pannaking22 ! And yes @darkness975 , unfortunately people are quick to judge. I got in many pointless arguments in the past "sticking up" for spiders. People just fear what they don't understand.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
All these years later, still hunting, still looking. Found a local location that is plentiful with six spotted tiger beetles, found at least 20 on the hike. This is the same spot that Phidippus purpuratus was documented in. Did not find much besides the tiger beetles and Naphrys pulex. Hopefully one day I will find the species I am searching for.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All these years later, still hunting, still looking. Found a local location that is plentiful with six spotted tiger beetles, found at least 20 on the hike. This is the same spot that Phidippus purpuratus was documented in. Did not find much besides the tiger beetles and Naphrys pulex. Hopefully one day I will find the species I am searching for.
Idk how useful this would be but I have found many jumping spider species in rolled up leaves outside, maybe they hide in those in your area too?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Species I’m looking for likes xeric and sandy conditions and usually is found under rocks/boards. Definitely think they can be hiding in rolled up leaves as well!