Spiders feeding on snakes. 2021 article.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Figure 2A - I saw exactly that, a ringneck snake (Diadophis punctatus) caught in the web of a Parasteatoda tepidariorum, when I was a sensitive kid at my grandparents' house in Connecticut. Such a cute little snake, I was thinking about freeing it, but it had already been bitten. The thing that amazed me is how far off the ground the snake was. Spiders can be strong! Their webs must be amazing force multipliers (web holding most of the weight, so the spider only needs to pull a small part of the captured creature).

Not starting a colony of feeder snakes. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
:rofl: Instant classic!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Figure 2A - I saw exactly that, a ringneck snake (Diadophis punctatus) caught in the web of a Parasteatoda tepidariorum, when I was a sensitive kid at my grandparents' house in Connecticut. Such a cute little snake, I was thinking about freeing it, but it had already been bitten. The thing that amazed me is how far off the ground the snake was. Spiders can be strong! Their webs must be amazing force multipliers (web holding most of the weight, so the spider only needs to pull a small part of the captured creature).

:rofl: Instant classic!
Ringnecks are gorgeous! They are actually pretty hard to find, have always been hard to find.

I find one in RI.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Very fun read. Nyffeler really is on a mission to explore all sorts of unusual feeding behaviours in the Arachnid world. To which I can only say: Keep it up!