Spiders Falling

superfunTtime

Arachnopeon
So I know it is generally a bad thing for spiders to fall. I have an Avic avic, which is supposed to be a great climber, and he fell from the ceiling of his enclosure onto his back. The fall was probably 10-11". He seems fine, but I am a bit worried since falls are notoriously bad news for Ts. Any words of advice? Things to watch for? So far he is fine and has started building himself a new web hammock (I just transferred him to this new enclosure yesterday). Does this happen on occasion or did I get a clumsy spider?

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
You may need to provide better climbing material. Glass/plastic can be hard for the to grasp properly.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Yup, you need at least one long branch reaching from the substrate to top of the cage. I recommend you get two branches and cross them at the very top, making a 'V' about 3-inches from the top for a webbing spot.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Once it coats the walls with webbing, it'll be easier for it to climb around. Normally, arboreal Ts can climb glass fairly easily and acrylic even more so. If you notice yours is slipping a lot, it might be very close to a molt.

Not to scare you but something to consider:
If it falls close to a molt, especially on the water dish, there might be a chance it'll develop a cyst on its abdomen. I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying there is a chance. Just something to keep in mind.