• The Review forums are closed to new reviews.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews.

Information on how to use our new Reviews section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Spiders and their kin - Levi, Herbert and Lorna

W

Wade

Positive

This isn't a husbandry oriented book, but this little book is the closest thing we arachnofans have to a useful field guide. It's a "Golden Guide" and only cost around $6 bucks from almost any bookstore. It was originally published in the sixties, so some names need to be updated, but all-in-all, a great bargain! Very good for trying to identify the spiders in your yard, at least to family level. Also has sections on the other arachnid orders, AND Myriapods.

Wade

A

AlexS

Positive

I agree. I have this book and it is a great reference for the families and genus of spiders.

AlexS

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Positive

I consider this book ( even though it is a little old) to be one of the best field guides for arachnofans.

Not the greatest book in the world for tarantula freaks as there is little information about tarantulas. This book covers mostly true spiders but there is a section on Tarantulas and even information on scoropions, pseudoscorpions, wind scorpions, whip scorpions and ticks.

If you are like me and like to show off to others by telling them the common and scientific names all whatever spider you see lurking in the backyard or crawling accross the cieling this book is a must have.

-Charlie

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
positive

my parents first bought this (and a lot of the other books from that series) when i was a little kid. years later i got into keeping spiders and wound up taking the book home with me. its a great little guide with short descriptions of the spiders. i also agree, there wasn't very much information on tarantulas. i'd like this book a lot more if it did, but after getting into tarantulas..i couldn't help becoming interested in other spiders.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
this book is awesome. it has eye guides and great illustrations for tons of spider families.

it does a good job of covering the other assorted arthropods that are not in the other golden guides including my beloved centipedes :)

amazing value! i have two, so i can not worry about taking one into the field with me :)

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just picked this up off eBay for $2.00..... Had a flip through it at the laundromat last night, looks like a very good little field guide - will be taking it out with me this summer. The small size is a major bonus. :)

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Positive

I bought this book at a bookstore, has lot's of good info.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have that book aswell,had it since i was very little,and i still go back to it for info,excellent little guide.

Kryshah

Arachnopeon
Hello there, new here... anyway. I think it's a marvelous book. It's a bit simple, and doesn't exactly list EVERY species found in any given area, but it's definately the best general Spider field guide on the market. Not even the Audubon Insects and Spiders covers a wider array of spiders than this little golden book. It's on of my few cherished spider books.