Spiders and the weather

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Have others noticed their tarantulas behavior varies with storm systems moving through their area, heat waves etc.? Also with the sightings of other spiders within the environment? I have a few observations, and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. It seems to me that other animals behavior varies based on seasonal variations etc. and insects as well. If anyone has any insight.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Yea thats pretty much exactly how it works in the wild so im not sure why it would be surprising?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The only thing I really see that affects their behavior is the day/night cycle, but not the weather specifically.

Of the variables that are associated with weather, the temperature, humidity, wind, and precipitation are all constant indoors, so the main thing to examine would be barometric pressure. Can't say that I've noticed anything in that area yet.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
The only thing I really see that affects their behavior is the day/night cycle, but not the weather specifically.

Of the variables that are associated with weather, the temperature, humidity, wind, and precipitation are all constant indoors, so the main thing to examine would be barometric pressure. Can't say that I've noticed anything in that area yet.
I was wondering about barometric pressure myself. We have a Galileo therm and a barometer I use for my own purposes. Mine seem more active when it becomes much warmer after cold weather (also changes barometer)

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Or perhaps it's a misery loves company thing with me, thinking my Ts are trying to stay warm during bad weather just like me ha. I love my barometer for my achy knee:p

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

I'm in the same boat as yourself, I've only noticed behavioural changes between day and night time, we don't get many real storms in the U.K. so it may be completely different elsewhere, the U.S. Canada, Australia as examples. I see what your saying though OP, if you've noticed diurnal changes etc. then it must become a factor.

cold blood

Staff member
Rains bring about molts....low pressure brings a more agressive feeding response....high pressure brings a less agressive response at times.

All my ts are in a heated room, yet they react more to the outside weather than one might expect.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have others noticed their tarantulas behavior varies with storm systems moving through their area, heat waves etc.? Also with the sightings of other spiders within the environment? I have a few observations, and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. It seems to me that other animals behavior varies based on seasonal variations etc. and insects as well. If anyone has any insight.
Quite a few of us seasoned keepers believe changes in weather patterns affect their behavior such as having a molt. It's not something that you can rely on. Many of Ts that were ready to burst didn't molt after the storm etc, but many times that did happen.

Changes in animal behavior is something that is documented in other animals for sure, such as frogs to name an example.