Spiderlings escaped through ventilation hole

Anthony Batista

Arachnopeon
A couple days ago i got two B.smithi and one Hapolopus sp. Columbia slings, all of which were .25". As i was observing them for the first day, everything seemed fine, they even built a burrow. But when i woke up the this morning to try to feed them, they were nowhere to be found. I quickly started sifting the inch of substrate they had, in hopes that they just dug a deep burrow. But to my disappointment, I didn't find them. When I first put them into that jar, I did wonder if those were holes were a little to big, but the couple of .5" slings i had for a few weeks seemed to be doing really well in it, so i didn't think much of it. I'm upset that i lost three wonderful Ts to such an avoidable mistake. Sucks i had to learn this the hard way, I will take ventilation holes more into account the next time i get some slings. Has this every happened to any of you? IMG_20150401_190620.jpg

Attachments

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
A couple days ago i got two B.smithi and one Hapolopus sp. Columbia slings, all of which were .25". As i was observing them for the first day, everything seemed fine, they even built a burrow. But when i woke up the this morning to try to feed them, they were nowhere to be found. I quickly started sifting the inch of substrate they had, in hopes that they just dug a deep burrow. But to my disappointment, I didn't find them. When I first put them into that jar, I did wonder if those were holes were a little to big, but the couple of .5" slings i had for a few weeks seemed to be doing really well in it, so i didn't think much of it. I'm upset that i lost three wonderful Ts to such an avoidable mistake. Sucks i had to learn this the hard way, I will take ventilation holes more into account the next time i get some slings. Has this every happened to any of you? View attachment 135570
Yikes. I'm so sorry that happened to you. This is my worst nightmare. :( I hope you have better luck with your next batch.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
This really sucks.

Last time I read of an escaped T being found, the owner spotted it at night, wandering around on the floor. Hers was not this small, but you never know. Might be worthwhile getting up a 2 am to look around.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
ouch =\ hope you find them.. i myself have seen too many horror stories with escapees and even my 2" T's get the same size as 1" at arival [if marked as 3/4 or below" they get needle holes burnt in.. and after 1.5 i usually give them thick paper clip holes... never fun to have escapees i had a boa loose for nearly 6months once he actually snuck into my rats cage wiel i had it open and ate a rat as i was turned around and that show i cought him lol

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Bummer. Sorry about this happening, too. I went with a small nail and just made more holes. I imagine that small slings are more pliable so I erred on the side of caution

cold blood

Staff member
i had a boa loose for nearly 6months once he actually snuck into my rats cage wiel i had it open and ate a rat as i was turned around and that show i cought him lol
That's crazy. One snake completely dedicated to its rats....or next meal, I guess.

Bill Myers

Arachnopeon
... i had a boa loose for nearly 6months once he actually snuck into my rats cage wiel i had it open and ate a rat as i was turned around and that show i cought him lol
LOL! Okay, I got one:

I had a python get loose in a warehouse I was living in back when I was younger. My cat disappeared shortly thereafter. You do the math...

:)

Cheers

P.S. - I found the python fat, dumb, and happy about 8 months later. Aah, good times.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
That's crazy. One snake completely dedicated to its rats....or next meal, I guess.
lol it helps to keep rats in your room when you have snakes lmao EVERY escapee but one was found on the rat rack... the one that wasnt was on the door sill and knocked a few shotglasses on my head -.- but ikr? i had a hognose snake at ~4' try to push his face thru the 1/2" hardwear cloth.. not gona lie.. i just sat there and laghed for a few mins.... but when i didnt find that guy for so long im like "yup he got out the window [which was held open with a stick the day of escape] and the day i found him the rats in that cage [1.3] was wrestling as i chopped a few veg on my table for them.. i heard a squeek... thinking it was a male being rough ,as he was a massive boy, i turned around and boom there was the long lost sunglow nomming my big male.. lmao easiest wrangle ever... lmao

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
Op maybe I am reading it wrong but did you have those spiderlings in the same vial? together?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
LOL! Okay, I got one:

I had a python get loose in a warehouse I was living in back when I was younger. My cat disappeared shortly thereafter. You do the math...

:)

Cheers

P.S. - I found the python fat, dumb, and happy about 8 months later. Aah, good times.
YOUR ALIVE!! long time no see lmao.. but thats TERRIBLE...that i laughed as hard as i did lmaooo

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I had a sling slip out a vent hole and disappear in my office last summer. A couple months later I noticed a shed had been kicked out from under my laser printer. Lo and behold, my little sling, albeit a little larger, allowed herself to be catch cupped and reunited with her enclosure. I had about given up since she was smaller than most of the "house spiders" living in that room. Good luck and don't give up!

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Aahhh man that sucks.. for a side note, if the holes are the size or bigger than the Ts carapace, they will be able to climb through them... hope you find them real soon!

spidermike78

Arachnopeon
That really sucks. I learned my lesson with ventholes on my P. Regalis. I woke up and found him on the celing thank god. I hope you can find em'

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Someday I'll have to tell the story about how my cats let 8 emporer scorps loose in my apartment... Which had a black floor...

awiec

Arachnoprince
My boyfriend knocked over the cage of one of my G.iheringi in the middle of the night. It was almost 2 inches so we thought we could find it and we were moving so we tore the whole room apart. We never found it as I assumed either one of the wild spiders got it, mouse snatched it or it wandered into the cold storage rome/attic and died from the cold. Of course his mother and sister still live there so perhaps will find a large spider one day. While I hope that you find your spiders, .25 inch are quite hard to find even if they are neon orange. Though I do know that my H.sp Columbia is pretty tough and acts like a wolf spider so they might live long enough to find them.

Though I did have a baby sand boa loose (bf didn't put the top back on the cage right) for about 4 months during the winter, and then on Christmas we found him alive and well in the bathroom.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Aahhh man that sucks.. for a side note, if the holes are the size or bigger than the Ts carapace, they will be able to climb through them... hope you find them real soon!
This... I lost a B. albopilosum sling. .25" because I went to bed wondering if the hole was too big. It was. Never making that mistake again. I use a short nail for slings. Push the tip in. For larger slings and juvies I use the whole nail.

I never found the poor little guy. I have tons of house spiders in the basement. He was doomed.

I hope you find yours. Good luck!

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I pretended to drop my wifes C.darlingi enclosure while doing a transfer last night for april fools, does that count?
(the spider was safe and sound in its new enclosure, as I walked away laughing the old deli cup full of dirt hit me in the back of the head)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It sucks losing slings sorry. I had an oligoxystre diamantinensis sling escape last year which i later found, trouble was it had ended up in the enclosure of my Grammostola iheringi which was 2x the size so it ended up as a meal