Spiderling Won't Eat, but still very skittish...

adbdasT

Arachnopeon
:confused: I've read that spiders stop feeding and get sluggish when in premolt. Here's my question...
My 1/2 in A. Chacoana spiderling ate a cricket (had to kill it first) a little over a week ago, and hasn't eaten since. The spiderling is still very jumpy and has been burrowing. Does this sound like a premolt situation? :?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
:confused: I've read that spiders stop feeding and get sluggish when in premolt. Here's my question...
My 1/2 in A. Chacoana spiderling ate a cricket (had to kill it first) a little over a week ago, and hasn't eaten since. The spiderling is still very jumpy and has been burrowing. Does this sound like a premolt situation? :?
Hard to tell.
Does it look plump or does the abdomen have a "healthy"* size to it? If you just try once every week to feed again you'll find out if it wants to moult or not. If it closes up the burrow it's most likely moult. Just continue to provide water, just that the T can drink if it wants to.

* I consider a healthy abdomen to be about 1½-2 times carpace size.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
At a 1/2" most slings only need one big meal to get them to the next molt. Sometimes 2. But I have my slings at that size feed on one baby roach and they dont eat again till they molt to the next size.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They do things in their own time......it could be awhile before it molts, you're just gonna have to be patient and wait and see! It could just be full up- a cricket is a large meal for a 1/2" sling!

adbdasT

Arachnopeon
thanks for info guys. The fact that it was so jumpy confused me. Most of the info out there says they get slow and sluggish.

I'm probably trippin, his abdomen looks healthy according to what you said above, and, the cricket it ate was pretty big!

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some of mine lay around looking like a size 16 squeezed into a size 4 !{D Others seem normal and then just pop-- they really are individuals and some will act alot different from others. You'll learn eventually what to look for. They get swollen, dark and shiny abdomens. It's really easy to see on small slings