Spiderling questions.

johnniecoltrane

Arachnopeon
I've got a baby grammostola aureostriata (Shakti, aka "Popcorn", below) and I'm not quite sure how to give her water. I know the cotton ball rule is anti-anti on this board, so I'm looking for some help. I worry she could fall in a bottle cap and not get out, so I've used some q-tip ...tips... and I've been changing them out every day. She's sooo tiny. I've no real clue what to do.

What do you guys reccomend ?

- Amber

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At that size either make sure the prey items are well hydrated themselves or just spray a few droplets of water on the side of the cup once or twice a week.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spiderlings usually don't need waterdish. They get the water from the substrate (you should keep it moist -but not soaked-) and from the preys.

Nevertheless, I have kept some spiderlings with another method... I put a little shallow lid (as a waterdish), and inside a more little damp paper-towel ball. It worked fine for me, and never had problems of mold.

Cheers,
Bothrops

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spiderlings usually don't need waterdish. They get the water from the substrate (you should keep it moist -but not soaked-) and from the preys.

Nevertheless, I have kept some spiderlings with another method... I put a little shallow lid (as a waterdish), and inside a more little damp paper-towel ball. It worked fine for me, and never had problems of mold.

Cheers,
Bothrops
Spiders cannot suck moisture through papertowel or substrate. They need and actual standing amount of water. Just some droplets on the side or the hydrated prey items are fine.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
or lightly spray any webbing going on, when the T isn't in / on it. Then observe to see what happens. Repeat when necessary.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just mist one side of the container, not too much though. :)