Spiderling Problems

Sprite72

Arachnopeon
I have a Brachypelma Vagans spiderling, almost the size of a penny. I have had it since last Thursday. I bought it from a pet store near me. I have had Tarantulas before, and thought it would be kind of cool to watch it grow up. The problem is, I have tried everything to try to get it to eat. I have not seen it eat anything since I purchased it. Any help would be highly appreciated. Here are a few pics of the Tarantula.

Attachments

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Brachypelma is a slow growing, occasional eating, pet rock genus. What you describe is typical.

It looks plump enough to be perfectly healthy. It may sit there for a few weeks without eating...you just have to keep offering (I recommend leaving pre-killed prey overnight at that size.) Most importantly, make sure it has access to water.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Questions:
What are you keeping it in? Post pictures of the enclosure.
Does it have access to water? Is the substrate moist or dry?
Is it from one of those Petco tarantula hut things? I ask because in addition to them being death traps for Tarantulas, they often mislabel them the wrong species and so just checking if your B. vagans really is a B. vagans.
What is the size of the prey you are offering?
Take more (and clearer) pictures of the spider. It is possibly approaching a molt.

Suggestion: have you offered pre killed prey?

Sprite72

Arachnopeon
Brachypelma is a slow growing, occasional eating, pet rock genus. What you describe is typical.

It looks plump enough to be perfectly healthy. It may sit there for a few weeks without eating...you just have to keep offering (I recommend leaving pre-killed prey overnight at that size.) Most importantly, make sure it has access to water.
Thank you so much for the fast reply, the tarantula moves around quite a bit. I have just never had to deal with a Tarantula who didn't want to eat.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have just never had to deal with a Tarantula who didn't want to eat.
Slings can fill up those little abdomens very quickly. Sometimes 1-2 large meals are all they need until they've molted again.

Sprite72

Arachnopeon
Questions:
What are you keeping it in? Post pictures of the enclosure.
Does it have access to water? Is the substrate moist or dry?
Is it from one of those Petco tarantula hut things? I ask because in addition to them being death traps for Tarantulas, they often mislabel them the wrong species and so just checking if your B. vagans really is a B. vagans.
What is the size of the prey you are offering?
Take more (and clearer) pictures of the spider. It is possibly approaching a molt.

Suggestion: have you offered pre killed prey?
I am actually keeping it in a small container with holes on the top and sides. It does have access to water, and I mist the enclosure everyday. It was in the Tarantula huts. but like I said it is in a different enclosure now. I have offered it pinhead crickets, and flightless fruit flies. Posted a clearer pic of the Tarantula. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Sprite72 The picture appears to be gravel or rock substrate? If so it should be changed to coco fiber or soil.
Flightless fruit flies are not really good for them.
From the picture you posted the sling looks very plump. It may not eat again until it molts.

Offer it pre-killed prey (crickets or diced up meal worms) to avoid the risk of prey munching on it if it decides to molt. Take the pre-killed prey out if it is not eaten overnight.

Sprite72

Arachnopeon
@Sprite72 The picture appears to be gravel or rock substrate? If so it should be changed to coco fiber or soil.
Flightless fruit flies are not really good for them.
From the picture you posted the sling looks very plump. It may not eat again until it molts.

Offer it pre-killed prey (crickets or diced up meal worms) to avoid the risk of prey munching on it if it decides to molt. Take the pre-killed prey out if it is not eaten overnight.
I already changed the substrate to Coco fiber, and thanks for all the great info :)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Prekilled is the way to go with ts that small imo. Crush the head of a pinhead, or simply feed it a large crickets drumstick if theres any leftover in the cricketbag after feeding your other ts.. they fall off pretty easy.

That little guy looks pretty fat right now, and homestly the upper abdomen looks kimd of dark already, possibly indicating early premolt. As nicodimus22 said, a couple meals go a long ways with slings that size.

cold blood

Staff member
Dont mist...like ever.

Plump spiderlings dont require food, just time and space to molt.

As said fruit flies are ok for a snack, but shouldnt be a main part of the diet....I consider them too much of a pain to even consider....I know youre not just feeding flies, its just a f.y.i.

Pre kill is the way to go...diced mealworms are my primary sling feeder for their ease and higher fat content.

Otherwise it sounds like youre on the right track. Ive had small Brachys go 4-6 months between meals...just be patient.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Pre kill is the way to go...diced mealworms are my primary sling feeder for their ease and higher fat content.
Yup. Sliced mealworm pieces were mostly what I used for my slings and that worked out fine. I found that a razor blade or a very sharp knife worked best, anything less and it can get a bit squishy. I used small crickets as well, but considered them a bit of a pain until the s'lings were ready to kill them themselves.

Sprite72

Arachnopeon
Yup. Sliced mealworm pieces were mostly what I used for my slings and that worked out fine. I found that a razor blade or a very sharp knife worked best, anything less and it can get a bit squishy. I used small crickets as well, but considered them a bit of a pain until the s'lings were ready to kill them themselves.
Thank you all for your help...watched it pounce on a cricket, but still has not eaten it. Will wait and see. Adding a few pics of the tarantula from today. Still looks nice and plump.

Attachments

Sprite72

Arachnopeon
Ok everyone...here is the update on my tarantula. Yesterday I checked on it, and it did molt!!! Here is a couple pics after it molted.
Thank you all. So happy the molt went well :)

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Ok everyone...here is the update on my tarantula. Yesterday I checked on it, and it did molt!!! Here is a couple pics after it molted.
Thank you all. So happy the molt went well :)
Cool, glad to hear it's doing good. It's starting to get fuzzy. :)