Spiderling Help!!!

bojesse57

Arachnopeon
Everytime I get a baby Tarantula it seems to run from it's food. I feed them small pinhead crickets and they won't eat. Eventually they die from starvation. Does anyone know how I can stop this. Please help.

tarantulagooroo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
are you giving them water?
are you sure they aren't molting?
are your crickets wild or store bought?

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if it's newnew, you might need to settle in for about a week or so, i had to do that with my new babies.
if not that, maybe they're going into premolt? but if it's happening with every one of them i doubt it.. those are the only things i can think of. those, or it's just not hungry and was fed before you got it.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK you're saying you've had a situation where they die from starvation? That's pretty drastic.
Have you tried pre-killing? IMO it would seem like common sense,
but try this, smash the head of it's prey, and leave it within range,
no need to throw it right in front , or even stick it down it's burrow.

Believe it or not, although spiderlings are generally trying to stay out of
sight or hide for safety, they do roam, and when they do,
they will find their food/prey. When they approach it they'll know it's edible.

Best of luck. :)

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I just recently bought a very tiny N. Chromatus sling, about the size of a pinkynail, and i just get the smallest cricket i have and crush its head, making sure its dead, then when i check later, my slings wandered around enough and found his food:D

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you can also try giving them 'drumsticks', or the legs from regular-sized crickets. i've found that helpful for a few slings that were scared of their own shadows:p

whatever you do, make sure you remove the prey items (eaten or not) after a couple days to avoid mold, fleas, etc.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
My B. smithi had that problem at first. I'm probably just restating previous comments, but make sure they have water and try the drumstick thing. Hope this helps.