Spiderling Feeding?

Coolthulu

Arachnopeon
Hi there!
I got some good news today, and was able to get a VERY tiny Nhandu chromatus from a show, and for the price of $2, I couldn't pass it up. But the man who sold it to me said not to feed it for a month because it hasn't gone through its first molt yet. This seemed a bit weird to me that something this young could be able to go that long without food, so I have to ask: Is there truth to this? When should I start feeding a young spiderling?
Here's a picture of the cute little thing by a penny, and thanks for the help!
1489310636240-1575487579.jpg

boina

Lady of the mites
The seller was absolutely right: DO NOT FEED this sling. It couldn't even eat because it doesn't have any functioning mouth parts yet. It's a kind of "spider larva" you've got (nymph 2, or 1i). Normally a responsible vendor wouldn't sell spiders at that stage because they are rather difficult to take care of - you need to get the moisture EXACTLY right, but the moment mould devolopes that spider is gone. And they still like to cluster together for safety at that stage and it can't move very well either.
Anyway: It MUST molt once before you can feed it. Remember: It cannot eat just yet. It is still living from the yolk in its abdomen.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
:banghead::banghead::banghead: Seriously?? Again?
Couple of days ago there was someone else with a sling (if you can call it that) in this stage as well. No wonder you got it cheap. Survival rates are low when in this stage.
Slings in this phase are kept in an incubator until they molt to first instar and begin to look like spiders. But that won't be for a month. I'm not sure if you can keep it on substrate already.
If the seller is a member here, you could try to post a review in the review and report section.

Edit:found the thread:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/i-need-help-with-my-slings.291378/

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
:banghead::banghead::banghead: Seriously?? Again?
I'm not sure if you can keep it on substrate already.
Yes, you can. Several breeder around here do it. The moisture has to be exactly right though. It must not dry out EVER - just a couple of hours and it's dead. Too moist and it will succumb to mold and bacteria pretty fast. That's why it is easier to keep it in an incubator.

Coolthulu

Arachnopeon
Thank you both so much for the help. It's embarrassing to admit that I didn't know the answer to this question when I got the tiny thing, but I'd rather look confused than be stubborn and wrong. I don't believe he had anything like a business card or any links to this board, but he wasn't a tarantula vendor as much as he was a jewelry vender with a few t's. I'll make sure to be delicate with this little animal and try my absolute hardest to make sure it survives this stage!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you both so much for the help. It's embarrassing to admit that I didn't know the answer to this question when I got the tiny thing, but I'd rather look confused than be stubborn and wrong. I don't believe he had anything like a business card or any links to this board, but he wasn't a tarantula vendor as much as he was a jewelry vender with a few t's. I'll make sure to be delicate with this little animal and try my absolute hardest to make sure it survives this stage!
My frustration wasn't aimed at you but at this guy who thinks it is okay to sell spiders in this stage to new keepers. Good on you for not going the dumb and stubborn route :)