Spider yoga ?

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yesterday I noticed one of my adult female b. emilia's hanging out at the front part of the cage (usually they stay towards the back half of the cage. She was laying/sitting/chilling in a position that I have never seen a bracy do, let alone any of my emilia's.

She was flat to the ground with the rear legs stretched out as far behind as possible and the front legs stretched out in front as far out as possible.

the links to a photo I found on another website that shows a different spider species but which is in nearly the same type of pose I found the emilia in...

http://www.southernspiderworks.com/photogallery/TaSubcaeruleus2.jpg

The emilia molted a couple weeks ago, so her exo should be well "set" in place and not needing any further stretching. The only thing that comes to mind is that she was doing yoga. :confused:

Thrasher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my B. smithis do that too.....the big ones do that more often tho.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am going to take a wild guess and say she has molted in the last few months. If so this is very normal. She is just stretching while her exo is still soft to get the blood flowing and get the most out of her recent molt. Stretching like that gives her max growth from her new exo.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am going to take a wild guess and say she has molted in the last few months. If so this is very normal. She is just stretching while her exo is still soft to get the blood flowing and get the most out of her recent molt. Stretching like that gives her max growth from her new exo.

As stated before, she molted a few weeks ago, but by now the exo would have dried and not be able to be stretched any further (other than the abdomen which is not rigid)....the rigid parts are only able to be stretched when they are still damp and soft.. not a few weeks after they have fully dried. Also, as stated before, I have never seen any of my brachy's lay stretched out like this. The only spiders I have that take on that type of pose are my avicularia.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see my Ts do a stretch like that every now and then, even my terrestrials. My 1 year postmolt Grammostola rosea still does it sometimes.