Spider pet choices

The wolf

Arachnolord
I would really like a spider this Christmas and I ave narrowed it down to these ones so if you have any info on any any of them (caresheets,care requirements,temperament,bite or even which I should keep)
My requirements are basically
not too big arachnophobe in the house
Hardy as it will be my first proper pet spider not counting wild caught and my tiny kukulcania sling
Docile for the above reasons
Acanthogonatus pissi
Euragrus mexicanus
Porrhothele antipoda
Ischnothele Caudata
Linothele megaleloides
Linothele fallax
Diplura sanguinea
Fufius lacinus

Last edited:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Regal jumping spider. Personalities vary from specimen to specimen. Could keep in 32 oz deli cups with semi damp substrate, fake plant, mist every few days, feed when abdomen looks small.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ischnothele caudata are really fun to keep. If you want something with even a little bit of size they may not be for you though. I believe my adults maxed out at about 1/2". They aren't particularly long lived, but still good to keep. I don't think I knew they were still in the hobby so I'm happy to see that.

Care is simple, keep moist and give them things to web to. They will web everywhere they can and turn the enclosure into their own personal race track. They can be kept communally, but you'll want to make sure there's space for them to spread out, doubly so if you try breeding them. I kept 5 in a 2.5 gallon enclosure, but that was probably larger than necessary. Individuals can be kept in vials or small deli cups. Mom will catch food the slings can share. Venom level is probably low, but good luck getting one to bite you. At the slightest disturbance they go shooting back down into their web hide, but if it's food they coming tearing back out again as fast as they can. Same reaction with water when you mist.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
If it weren't for the size limit I'd have suggested a huntsman. Linothele are apparently really cool to keep but I don't have any experience with them

The wolf

Arachnolord
If it weren't for the size limit I'd have suggested a huntsman. Linothele are apparently really cool to keep but I don't have any experience with them
This was the genus I was thinking about most how easy are huntsmen to keep?

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
This was the genus I was thinking about most how easy are huntsmen to keep?
depends on the species I think, but the ones I keep are pretty low maintenance. Only problem with them is that they're very fast, otherwise they're very rewarding and active

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
I would really like a spider this Christmas and I ave narrowed it down to these ones so if you have any info on any any of them (caresheets,care requirements,temperament,bite or even which I should keep)
My requirements are basically
not too big arachnophobe in the house
Hardy as it will be my first proper pet spider not counting wild caught and my tiny kukulcania sling
Docile for the above reasons
Acanthogonatus pissi
Euragrus mexicanus
Porrhothele antipoda
Ischnothele Caudata
Linothele megaleloides
Linothele fallax
Diplura sanguinea
Fufius lacinus
I wouldn't recommend any of the above for a beginner, personaly- but would recommend something from the Genus Aphonopelma or Brachypelma. - Particularly A. hentzi and A. atomicus are great for beginners, as they are average-sized for a T, and are quite docile. - I'd almost call them the puppies of the spider world- especially in comparison to some of the old-worlds.

The wolf

Arachnolord
I wouldn't recommend any of the above for a beginner, personaly- but would recommend something from the Genus Aphonopelma or Brachypelma. - Particularly A. hentzi and A. atomicus are great for beginners, as they are average-sized for a T, and are quite docile. - I'd almost call them the puppies of the spider world- especially in comparison to some of the old-worlds.
What would make them non beginner species

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
What would make them non beginner species
In my opinion, I wouldn't recomend anything classified in the infra- order Aranomophae as a beginner species, because of the temptation to keep medically significant species, for one thing. Secondly, in my experience, its easier to care for a T all the way around than to attempt to deal with most Aranomphae because of the fact that they're difficult to feed by way of comparison in terms of what your going to be able to find in terms of widely-available pet-store food sources. I find that the Mygalomorphae species outside Theraphosidae are usually aggressive or else problematic for the same reasons infra-order Aranomophae is. Therefore, by process of elimination I would recommend a Theraphosidae to a beginner. - of which genus Aphonopelma and Brachypelma are the best suited as being docile.

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
Notably, in the context of an arachnophobia, I find that the average-size T (which is 2"-3" or so) is large enough to see but at the same time not the gigantic thing you see in movies. That, and 9 times out of 10, a T is going to burrow unless it happens to surface for food or water. Its literally having a pet hole, in a way- unless you happen to be the one caring for it. Notably, most if not all of the spices you named are old-world (meaning aggressive) if my mind serves me correctly.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
There are some dwarf tarantulas that are very colourful and fantastic webbers. Not sure if any of them are good beginners though, I've never kept them and haven't read enough about them

The wolf

Arachnolord
In my opinion, I wouldn't recomend anything classified in the infra- order Aranomophae as a beginner species, because of the temptation to keep medically significant species, for one thing. Secondly, in my experience, its easier to care for a T all the way around than to attempt to deal with most Aranomphae because of the fact that they're difficult to feed by way of comparison in terms of what your going to be able to find in terms of widely-available pet-store food sources. I find that the Mygalomorphae species outside Theraphosidae are usually aggressive or else problematic for the same reasons infra-order Aranomophae is. Therefore, by process of elimination I would recommend a Theraphosidae to a beginner. - of which genus Aphonopelma and Brachypelma are the best suited as being docile.
I have kept many true spiders but none that I have purchased

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
I have kept many true spiders but none that I have purchased
Not saying that one shouldn't keep "true spiders"- I'm saying I wouldn't get them from another, because alot of people have the potential to misidentify, and especially in North America, misidentification is more dangerous with "true spiders" (North America has no native medically significant species within infra-order Mygalomophae) Hence- if your buying from someone that your not sure is absolutely up on their identification, I'd stick to Mygalomophae - as it has less "false" species to deal with (for example- there are "false" species that some might erroneously classify as L. Mactans, ect.) The thing is to be absolutely sure of what you have to begin with- as there is always the potential for a bite, and if you DO get bitten, you need to be rest assured what species your dealing with. This is in view of the fact that I don't expect the beginner to be able to accurately identify at all. Thats the main reason I discourage beginners from "true spiders", as most of the sources of tarantulas in the pet trade likely aren't going to give you a dangerous species in the event they have misidentified. Of course then again, A. robustus (which is a deadly species to humans) can be mistaken for an ordinary T. to the unexperienced, which is what contributes to the bite rate. (though the species can't be exported- and thus is not at risk of entering the pet trade). But is precisely that type of issue that I want to avoid with the beginner, taking note that "true spiders" are sometimes harder to identify correctly.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
It depends what group you're buying from. I don't think there are any medically significant salticidae, for example, and those are very easy to tell apart from other groups (so even if you get the wrong species, you still won't be hurt). Plus, there are plenty of reputable people out there who sell true spiders.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Not saying that one shouldn't keep "true spiders"- I'm saying I wouldn't get them from another, because alot of people have the potential to misidentify, and especially in North America, misidentification is more dangerous with "true spiders" (North America has no native medically significant species within infra-order Mygalomophae) Hence- if your buying from someone that your not sure is absolutely up on their identification, I'd stick to Mygalomophae - as it has less "false" species to deal with (for example- there are "false" species that some might erroneously classify as L. Mactans, ect.) The thing is to be absolutely sure of what you have to begin with- as there is always the potential for a bite, and if you DO get bitten, you need to be rest assured what species your dealing with. This is in view of the fact that I don't expect the beginner to be able to accurately identify at all. Thats the main reason I discourage beginners from "true spiders", as most of the sources of tarantulas in the pet trade likely aren't going to give you a dangerous species in the event they have misidentified. Of course then again, A. robustus (which is a deadly species to humans) can be mistaken for an ordinary T. to the unexperienced, which is what contributes to the bite rate. (though the species can't be exported- and thus is not at risk of entering the pet trade). But is precisely that type of issue that I want to avoid with the beginner, taking note that "true spiders" are sometimes harder to identify correctly.
I was only thinking of buying spiders from the list in my original post,which are all myglomorphs,Also I am purchasing from a seller in the uk I am sorry for any misunderstanding on either side and thank you for your concerns

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Dwarf Aphonopelma sp. are adorable and tiny plus super hardy and calm. I'm surprised we mentioned Aphonopelma and Dwarf T's but not Dwarf Aphonopelma.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Sounds like you need a Euathlus sp red. They're dwarf tarantulas that max out at around 3" DLS. They're hardy, slow moving, curious, and docile.