Spider Lab Pics

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just some pics I took of spiders from the lab, I'm no photographer (trying to get one of my pals who is to take some good macro shots with his swanky $1000 camera, assuming I can get him into the lab and past his arachnophobia :eek:)

Attachments

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No these I forget...

I had the name of the supposed genus written down, but I left it at school... I think it started with an "m" though, and I'm pretty sure it was an Araneid... The male is the first one and the female second

Attachments

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steatoda male

Most likely S. borealis; these buggers are easy to find but can be hard to catch!

Attachments

Last edited:

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
yes that is borealis...they are hard to entice out of their lair so to speak

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know, I had to stalk that thing for at least 2 days! It was living in a crevice in my windowsill, along with about 3 others of its kind. The first time I figured it would be like a Parasteatoda and just move a couple inches at the first disturbance and freeze, but it went straight for its lair and didn't look back! The second time I figured I could block the hole before it got there, but I covered the wrong one by mistake and it got back to its own no problem :wall:

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
let a bug crawl around the ends of the scaffold web and it will get caught in a trip line at the end of the web...then you can capture the spider easier

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's how I was catching the Agelenids, but I didn't know how well it would work for the Steatoda... I'll have to try that next time!