Spider identification.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, I caught this little spider..It's small, about 1cm long, looks REALLY like a black widow, but doesn't have that red hourglass under its abdoment. Instead, it has a Yellow/Orange/Gold (cant figure out exactly) stripe on the top of the abdoment and to the side of the rest of the body.

I guess I'll have to post a picture, but can anyone identify it from that ^^^^^^??? I caught it in here in Greece BTW.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not sure of the exact species, but it's in the genus Steatoda, which is closely related to Lactrodectus. They aren't considered medically signifigant, but their bite can produce a few Lactrodectus-like symptoms ( mild tho ).

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
In my insect guide there is a drawing of "Steatoda paykulliana" that looks like your spider except the stripe is more orange/red.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actualy it's a bit darker but the flash made it look that way....

Thanks on the info
!!!!

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Last edited:

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:eek:

DON'T TOUCH!!!!

How did you know it is of the species Steatoda?

Last edited:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Others above suggested it?...or It says so in the envonomation report that they ar etreating Steatoda??

john
];')

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Venom , above, said it's of the genus Steatoda, I was just curious how he knew it was not a Latrodectus for example....

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, looks like a Steatoda, we have alot of these around in Ohio, but they have a white stripe instead, ours is Steatoda borealis.

Andy