spider ID ?

alan52

Arachnopeon
Thanks in advance.
Found this spider in a pot of succulent plants I was re potting, not sure if it is a "funnel web spider"
I live on east coast of New South Wales, Australia. spider.jpg

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yikes! She looks pissed! That appears to be a Mouse Spider (Missulena sp.) or possibly one of the Funnel Web spiders. (I'd like a clear shot of her eyes and spinnerets to tell which.) More info and comparison picture of Mouse Spider: https://australianmuseum.net.au/mouse-spiders and Funnel Web spiders: https://australianmuseum.net.au/different-species-of-funnel-web-spiders

I'm leaning more toward a Missulena sp. but the two are similar looking. Either way, a bite would be extremely unpleasant!

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Found this spider in a pot of succulent plants I was re potting, not sure if it is a "funnel web spider"
I live on east coast of New South Wales, Australia.
I'm not as familiar with the awesome spiders you have down under, but this looks like a female mouse spider (Missulena). Compare with Missulena occatoria.

While not as dangerous as your funnel-web spiders (genus Atrax and other hexathelids), a bite would not be fun.

alan52

Arachnopeon
Thank you chanda & Ungoliant for the id, possibly a funnel web then, as have not known any one in this area to mention a mouse spider befor?
the only other different image I have does not show any more than what was in this image as did not know to look for. spider 2.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
the only other different image I have does not show any more than what was in this image as did not know to look for.
I'm still thinking Missulena due to the bulge in the front of the carapace.

alan52

Arachnopeon
Thank you all, if u were here 8legfreak when I discovered it would have gladly given it to u though bad luck has gone back to find its family or next meal????
will not be back on this forum till I come across some other little curiosity that has fangs..........................
thank u all again alan