Spider ID

Xanthopus

Arachnoknight
Not sure what this guy is can anyone help to ID it? And another question, why does my spider spend most of his time on my netting which covers the top of my tank? Is the tank to small? Provided a Full tank shot. Million thanks, im new in this hobby and hope i can be guided along the way :D.

Last edited:

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
he stays on the top because he is an arboreal species and like to be as high up as possible, the setup is perfect for him, just add a twig that runs along the roof of the enclosure and he'll hide under that (will make him feel more secure)

I'll need to know where you got him from and what size he is so I know what species of Hyllus he is

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi, please tell us the location the spider was found?

It is obviously a Jumping spider, and I know what it is, BUT:

I prefer to know where a spider was found before offering an ID. :)

Very nice setup!

Your Jumper may not like it so wet- let it dry out some, and mist only the leaves. Are those live plants?

Thank you. S.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Ah, EXOPET posted before me...

MM Hyllus diardi.

True that they are aboreal...

S.

Xanthopus

Arachnoknight
he stays on the top because he is an arboreal species and like to be as high up as possible, the setup is perfect for him, just add a twig that runs along the roof of the enclosure and he'll hide under that (will make him feel more secure)

I'll need to know where you got him from and what size he is so I know what species of Hyllus he is
Thanks for the info, i will add more branches at the top :).
Hi, please tell us the location the spider was found?

It is obviously a Jumping spider, and I know what it is, BUT:

I prefer to know where a spider was found before offering an ID. :)

Very nice setup!

Your Jumper may not like it so wet- let it dry out some, and mist only the leaves. Are those live plants?

Thank you. S.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Ah, EXOPET posted before me...

MM Hyllus diardi.

True that they are aboreal...

S.
I found him in the mangroves, crawling on a tree.He is now about 1.8cm+/- with his front legs completely stretched out.Thanks again guys, i shall do the neccessary changes now :D.

Xanthopus

Arachnoknight
Changed the scaping

Hey guys, i added more branches at the top and a leaf for coverage, is this better?

Last edited:

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, H. diardii aka mangrove jumper / heavy jumper officially the worlds largest jumping spider species and an excellent spider, I currently have 11 pairs on route to me and can't wait.

The setup looks perfect for him now.

The main considertions are good ventilation and good humidity, by keeping the plants moist you'll create humidity pockets under the leaves and the ventilation looks spot on mate, enjoy your spider!

Xanthopus

Arachnoknight
yeah, H. diardii aka mangrove jumper / heavy jumper officially the worlds largest jumping spider species and an excellent spider, I currently have 11 pairs on route to me and can't wait.

The setup looks perfect for him now.

The main considertions are good ventilation and good humidity, by keeping the plants moist you'll create humidity pockets under the leaves and the ventilation looks spot on mate, enjoy your spider!
Thank you so much for your help! Hope u get ur spiders soon, may go hunting for a female but will they fight or are there anything i must take not of if adding a female?

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there is NO agrression between adult pairs at all, just make sure to add the male to the females enclosure and remove him after you have seen a mating take place ( in case she does get hungry) then try again one week later, if she is unreceptive the second time (waves legs at him) she is gravid.

Xanthopus

Arachnoknight
there is NO agrression between adult pairs at all, just make sure to add the male to the females enclosure and remove him after you have seen a mating take place ( in case she does get hungry) then try again one week later, if she is unreceptive the second time (waves legs at him) she is gravid.
Ok thanks, will try if i come across any females :).