Spider ID

Trigger

Arachnopeon
Hello, I wasnt sure where too post this, So please move If not in correct place, Thank you.

What I have isnt a tarantula, Its merely An outdoor Spider.. Im suffering from some nasty wounds on my body which I think may have been caused by a spider Biting me while i sleep, Im wondering if anyone can ID this spider. in the pictures he is curled up, When stretched out is actually quite large..

Just looking for some more information on these spider..

Thank you

Attachments

Trigger

Arachnopeon
Ok sorry, New here and didnt know where too post it, Im sure an Mod will move it for me.. Thanks

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heya Trigger, welcome. Even if you're not a spider enthusiast....maybe we can fix that, lol.

For future reference, there's a section further down called 'True spiders and other arachnids.' That is where you would post pictures of non-tarantula spiders, either for ID or for sharing information.

As for ID-ing, it helps to know what area the spider is found (country, state, etc), as we have members from all over the world, and spiders vary by location! Size helps too- sometimes putting a coin (penny or quarter) in with the spider when taking pictures will help give viewers an idea as to the size of it.

Trigger

Arachnopeon
fyreflye thanks for pointing that out, And I used too Own a few Tarantulas, But was more of a scorpion guy back in the day :D ....

Im from Saskatchewan, Canada. As for size, When spread Out is about the size of a canadian looney or tooney.

I dont think we have many toxic outdoor spiders here, But something left a nasty sore on my leg im just trying too figure out if this may be the culprit

heres a picture of my leg, also got a similar one on my back...

Ill wait too have this moved too the correct place before posting anymore.

Attachments

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ill wait too have this moved too the correct place before posting anymore.
No worries, they can move the entire thread. :)

As for the spider, it looks like a type of orb weaver. I found some pictures of one that look very similar- Araneus gemmoides, also known as the 'cat faced' spider. It's range does include Canada.

http://www.cirrusimage.com/spider_cat_face.htm
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/catspid.htm

Both sources claim this spider to be harmless. That spot in your picture does look something like a bite wound, though. Was this a one-time occurrence, or have you been bit on more than one night? Give your bedroom a good search over, check in any possible hiding spots, you may find something!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Uh oh. That doesn't look good. Have you found any ticks on you recently or do you have any cats or dogs? How large is the rash?

I'm really worried that that rash looks suspiciously like the bulleye's rash caused by lyme disease.

Trigger

Arachnopeon
Yes that does look like the spider, Good too know its harmless, Also I sprayed my sleeping area with raid, and since then havent got anymore bites/sores

Im almost certain I was bite during the nite, I woke up and found that on my leg, which was extremly itchy, then the next night woke up too one one my upper back. then a few nights later two smaller ones showed up..

Since these bites or whatever they are showed up, I have been very sick too the stomach, dizzy, and sweating lots., thats Why I was worried i may have a toxic spider snacking on me.

You got me worrying about Lyme disease now NikiP. Might have too make another trip back too the doctors, As i do hang around the bush alot ATVing and also own many dogs.

Thank for the pictures

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Uh oh. That doesn't look good. Have you found any ticks on you recently or do you have any cats or dogs? How large is the rash?

I'm really worried that that rash looks suspiciously like the bulleye's rash caused by lyme disease.
NikiP, you got me interested, so i did some brief research on insect bites and lyme's disease.

It seems that the majority of regular insect bites present as just a red blob or rash. Trigger, your mark does kind of look like the 'bullseye' indicative of lyme's disease. Don't let that scare you, most likely it's just a reaction (and i'm not a doctor), but it's better to be safe than sorry- You should get that checked out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease
http://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/arthritis-lyme-disease
http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/lymedisease/lym_symptoms.html

nhdjoseywales

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i remember reading somewhere that many "spider bites" are actually misdiagnosed staph infections. go to the doctor.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That spider is a harmless orb weaver, I believe of the genus Araneus. If you were bitten it would probably produce a red sore but not much more. Since they are nocturnal orb weavers it's not the sort of spider you'd run into inside your house, crawling around in your clothing or whatever. You're more likely to walk through a web at night and get a facefull of web and maybe a panicked spider.

If this is what bit you then there's nothing to worry about. It's probably not what bit you though so keep an eye on that spot. Lymes is a weird disease, it doesn't present in any reliable way (that I know of). Sometimes you get the bullseye, sometimes not. Sometimes you get sick sooner, sometimes later, sometimes you'll go a long time without any symptoms. Keep an eye out for fatigue and mild flu-like symptoms. That can be an indicator. Oh, and go to the doc after reading those links.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Molter, you're right, it doesn't really present in any reliable way and testing for it is even more unreliable. I'd say the only reliable thing about the disease is if you do get the rash.

although I did have this lovely crazy doctor tell me that he believed lyme doesn't exist and the rash is caused by something entirely else :rolleyes: