ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, can anyone tell me what species of spider this is? The body is about 1"

Thanks

Ines

kinetikx

Arachnopeon
I did some extensive research, with the help of two South American friends. No luck there unfortunately.

By the look of the abdomen I would have to think that it is not a spider at all. The segments make it look more like a whipscorpion than anything else, but the pedipalps look like a spider... I am lost at this point.

Any Venezolanos(Sp?) around here know what this thing is?

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
definetly a daddy longlegs or harvestman imm sure there are tropical species

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks!!!,

I have no luck either... I think is a daddy longlegs too, but is very dificult to know what species is :confused:

Is not so nice, every time I try to change the water she/he try to attack me. Another thing is that love water a lot

Thanks again :) , if I found what specie is I will post it here

Inés

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Wonder if the university would help you out with this like they did the scorpion you had? It is a wild looking 8-legger for sure. I'd love to find some of things you can :D

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendi
Wonder if the university would help you out with this like they did the scorpion you had? It is a wild looking 8-legger for sure. I'd love to find some of things you can :D
:) Sometimes I think Im living in Jurasic Park... About the university I have to find out where, because with the scorpions was easy, I know the scorpions departament (they milk the scorpions for making the antivenom)

By the way, Im shure you find some bugs in your home that will make mi jealous =D

Thanks

Ines

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Definately a harvestmen (Opiliones).

Breaking out good ol' Levi and Levi (Spiders And Their Kin), that guy looks like something in the Gonylepidae family, and there's a pic of an Acrographinotus sp. that looks like it could be a close relative.

I cannot stress enough how handy this little $6 book is. It's somewhat out of date (some names have changed) but you can almost always narrow a specimen down to at least family level, sometimes genus. I'm not sure if it's available in Venezuela, but you might be able to order it through amazon.com.

Wade

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade
Definately a harvestmen (Opiliones).

Breaking out good ol' Levi and Levi (Spiders And Their Kin), that guy looks like something in the Gonylepidae family, and there's a pic of an Acrographinotus sp. that looks like it could be a close relative.

I cannot stress enough how handy this little $6 book is. It's somewhat out of date (some names have changed) but you can almost always narrow a specimen down to at least family level, sometimes genus. I'm not sure if it's available in Venezuela, but you might be able to order it through amazon.com.

Wade
Thanks Wade, I sure look to buy the book, I allready send the spider to the University, wen they tell me what it is I will post it here.

Thanks again

Ines

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, Ines! That is one freaky cool spider! The spikes on the back are awesome!

I agree with Wade and yourself, it does look like a harvestman of some sort. I'm very interested to know more. What type of habitat was it found? Inside or outside? Does it have visible fangs? The pics are great but I can't really tell from the pics.

Really cool!

Best wishes,

Paul

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Paul, I found it in mi sister house, outside, the walls of the house allways have this kind of spiders in the night and they have visible fangs, but that house have the most weird animals I ever see. She have a lot of scorpions (about 5 species, including thyitus discrepans, very poisonous), 3" fat crickets, snakes, lizards, frogs, and a lot of tipes of spiders. I think is because of the climate, always 65° C and very húmid

I found a really similar one in this page http://www.americanarachnology.org/HiResGallery/harvestman2.html is from Costa Rica and is a harvestman

Im waiting the university results of what kind of spider is... I will post it here

Thanks

Ines

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ines,

Thankyou for the info, that's really awesome!

I'm sure everyone here would love to see other pics of various critters!

So are they fangs or are they pedipalps that are obvious? I didn't realize harvestmen had fangs. (I don't know too much about harvestmen obviously).

Take care,

Paul

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by phoenixxavierre
Ines,

(I don't know too much about harvestmen obviously).

Paul
:) neither... now I do not know if they are fangs or pedipalps :(

I will ask

Thanks

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by ines68
:) neither... now I do not know if they are fangs or pedipalps :(

I will ask

Thanks
Hi Ines,

Fangs are sharp at the ends and are used to inject prey with venom. Pedipalps are like little extra legs on the front of the spider used to handle food with.

Best wishes,

Paul

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will get one tomorrow nigth and check it, but I think they have both of them

Thanks

Ines

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The appendages up front are pedipalps. I've always assumed harvestmen lack fangs since they lack venom glands, but I could be wrong.

Wade

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Wade,

I always figured it was either what you said, or that the fangs are so small that they are not very easy to see? So if they have no fangs, how would they eat their prey, just by holding them still with their pedipalps and digesting them from the outside, then sucking up the fluids?

Best wishes,

Paul