Spider ID (possibly alien Tegenaria?)

acidkore

Arachnopeon
I found this thing in my house in northern Michigan. She has a legspan of about 2.5" (that's a pint mason jar she's in), fast, and ANGRY.

I believe it to be an alien species to the area, possibly Tegenaria. If this is the case, it is not a domestica because it does not have the banding around its legs, and it is not a duellica because it lacks the 'dots' on its sternum. Possibly an pagana or agretis? I did have some nasty bites last summer which are consistent with hobo bites, but I did not see the bug that did it.

If this is in fact a Tegenaria, aren't I approximately 2000 miles away from where they are supposed to live?

Last edited:

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it's a wolf spider. I have no clue what species though.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would also say that its not a Lycosid, but other than that I have no idea. I also have several unidentified spiders that I just cannot seem to identify.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is definately Tegenaria, I'm leaning more towards domestica

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is a link: http://pep.wsu.edu/pdf/PLS116_1.pdf

It looks like a Tegenaria to me as well. I have not heard of T.agrestis that far east, however, it could always be a transplant. They did after all make the trip from Europe to here!
Examination of the epigynum as shown in the link is essential.
The easiest way that I have found to do this and still keep the spider alive is to place it in a ziplock bag and slowly and gently flatten it out to the point where the spider can't maneuver itself. Then have a look with a magnifyer or microscope.
Tegenaria are very docile. They are fast and may appear defensive but don't be fooled, they are wimps!
If you ever want a positive id, send it my way and I will take it up to Rod Crawford for a look.