Spider ID please :-)

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Found: Under a wooden bench in the garage.
Ate: Caterpillars, huge queen looking ants, other spiders.
Description: Big gravel, gray, sandy textured abdomen, weird design on under it if you use a magnify glass.
Other: Kept 4 together, biggest one killed two, left what I would assume was a male. One had red legs and was a tad bit smaller than the female. The female laid a small sack!

I done some searching and it looks like this, but it says these are only found in Florida, it's a brown widow..but I can't find an hour glass on it, so it's not a widow.

Sorry for the not so great pictures, it may just be a regular spider.

Last edited:

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
What you have there is the American house spider, I am drawing a blank on the name. It's in the comb foot family

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's an American House Spider(Archaranea tepidariorum, a VERY common species in the South. They are related to Widows, but are harmless.

pitbulllady

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi, are you sure about that? We´ve got that species here in germany too, but the ones I found looked a lil different...

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, was I ever confused until I re-read your post! Pic #1 was very much widow-ish and different from the later pics!

Yes, your spider is an Achaearanea tepidariorum, just like the others said. Brown widows ( as in pic #1 ) have spread outside of Florida to Georgia, Texas, California, and probably other states in south and southwest, so they MAY be in TN--maybe. Keep your eyes peeled :)

Edit: @ Improver-- are your A.tep's the dark morph? They are highly variable in coloration. We have them here anywhere from tan to grey to almost black.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Be careful with those, when frightened they will shoot poo at you. No im not joking. I caught one at work awhile back and thought it was a brown widow, but realized it wasnt. I had it out running around and i startled it and it shot a VERY long stream of poo at me.