Spider ID please (Australian funnel web?)

mamela

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

I have a few of these beauties in my back garden but cannot seem to identify them at all. I love in north London and a friend of mine thinks it’s an Australian funnel web as she’s heard they got introduced to the uk by accident. That would be concerning indeed but I’m not so sure though. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
a friend of mine thinks it’s an Australian funnel web as she’s heard they got introduced to the uk by accident. That would be concerning indeed but I’m not so sure though.
I'd like to get a little more info on that. It sounds a little like that African penguin preserve, Adeles of Algeria, or the glacial cholla gardens of Greenland, and of course, Montana Marsupials and beach resort.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Clearly your friend has never seen a funnelweb before
20200728_203536.jpg 20200715_173323.jpg

Pretty sure Europe has a single known species of primitive spider, Atypus Affinis. The climate is not really suitable for any Aussie species to survive in the wild. This looks more like some kind of house spider

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have a few of these beauties in my back garden but cannot seem to identify them at all. I love in north London and a friend of mine thinks it’s an Australian funnel web as she’s heard they got introduced to the uk by accident. That would be concerning indeed but I’m not so sure though. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Does it have iridescent green chelicerae?

Compare with Segestria florentina, commonly known as a tube web spider. (It is not medically significant, in case that was an unspoken concern.)

mamela

Arachnopeon
Hi spider friends! Thanks so much for the input I really appreciate it! After all the replies I’ve also come to believe it is a segestria florentina. I they’ll always have a place in my home and makes me appreciate them even more to know exactly what it is.

Thanks again!