Spider ID, HELP.. please! :)

davisfam

Arachnoknight
If not a Hogna Carolinensis then Hogna Georgicola? Does anyone know what species of Wolfiie this beautiful gal is?? :?

Our other guess included the Hogna Georgicola; based on the Florida Nature website:
http://www.floridanature.org/species.asp?species=Hogna_georgicola

The reason we think she is a H. carolinensis is due to the pictures on this Carolina state website: http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/South_Carolina/CarolinaWolfSpider.html

Although, she does not burrow quite like the H. carolinensis. She has created a burrow type thing (on the “ceiling” part) inside her piece of bark which serves as a ‘hut’. She is very quick when it comes to feeding time and never fails to come out of her ‘hut’ when she is hungry. When she was found, she was out and about roaming/hunting; no burrow was found within reasonable range. Since finding her at the end of August, she has went through the process of one molt. I have pictures from before this molt and after; the pictures posted are post-molt. Another qualification she doesn’t fit is this, “Typically H. carolinensis has completely dark ventral aspect of the front 4 legs , unlike the banding seen in H. baltimoriana. H. carolinensis has a broad pale band around the dorsal carapace and the entire venter of the abdomen is black.” (Source; Wolf Spiders, Nursery Web Spiders and Lynx Spiders of Canada and Alaska PART 17 FROM INSECTS AND ARACHNIDS OF CANADA).. :confused:

We are absolutely stumped on this Wolfiie ID so ANY information would be appreciated, thaaanks! :)

Here are links to more pictures (if needed):
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/kelseyjane10/Spiders%20and%20Such/Creatures208.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/kelseyjane10/Spiders%20and%20Such/029-1.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/kelseyjane10/Spiders%20and%20Such/027-1.jpg

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Perhaps Hogna lenta? Except the dorsal abdominal pattern isn't quite right... :? Then again, that would be a very light coloration for an H. georgicola, too..

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Perhaps Hogna lenta? Except the dorsal abdominal pattern isn't quite right... :? Then again, that would be a very light coloration for an H. georgicola, too..
It looks like just a light coloration of H. georgicola to me. Aren't H. carolinensis supposed to have bands under their legs?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks like just a light coloration of H. georgicola to me. Aren't H. carolinensis supposed to have bands under their legs?
Yes, they are. I don't think it's an H. carolinensis either. Maybe it is the georgicola....but all the others I've seen online are quite dark.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Yes, they are. I don't think it's an H. carolinensis either. Maybe it is the georgicola....but all the others I've seen online are quite dark.
Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated :D We don't think she is a H. carolinensis due to the same reason; no distinct banding on the legs/dark ventral aspect of the front 4 legs. Although, I did just snap a few new pictures of her underside and it seems as if she is turning a darker color on her sternum. All coxae areas are also turning darker in color and bands are there but not distinct. Hmm.. ??

After doing more research, we think she is a H. georgicola due to the often confusion between to two species. If no one can give us a definate ID, we will go ahead and contact the more experienced reference a friend gave us. No worries, this ID is a tough one and has had us confused for weeks now, lol. We sure do appreciated EVERYONE's help! ;) It was much needed.

I'll post the new pictures of her underside in a little bit.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The banded legs are a characteristic of Hogna aspersa. Although aspersa tend to be darker. georgicola is often found on tree trunks. If it weren't for the banded legs i'd think lenta was a good possibility too.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
The banded legs are a characteristic of Hogna aspersa. Although aspersa tend to be darker. georgicola is often found on tree trunks. If it weren't for the banded legs i'd think lenta was a good possibility too.
Well, we know she isn't a H. lenta because her sternum nor abdomen (ventral side) are completely black which is a very distinct characteristic of the H. lenta species. We actually own a female H. lenta and there are no similarities between the two Wolfiies. We're thinking she has to be either H. aspersa or H. georgicola since both are alike in appearance to the H. carolinensis. :confused:

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the Carolina wolf picture link is a mis ID. That is not a carolinensis. That spider actually looks like aspersa. Your mystery wolf is not a Carolina wolf. here is a Carolina http://bugguide.net/node/view/443326 that species can be ruled out. aspersa construct burrows but during this time of year they are out roaming about and do take refuge beneath rocks and other debris. the darker spider in this pic is a female aspersa from my yard September of last year. Keep us updated when you get a confirmed ID. wolf spider identification... :wall:

Attachments

davisfam

Arachnoknight
the Carolina wolf picture link is a mis ID. That is not a carolinensis. That spider actually looks like aspersa. Your mystery wolf is not a Carolina wolf. here is a Carolina http://bugguide.net/node/view/443326 that species can be ruled out. aspersa construct burrows but during this time of year they are out roaming about and do take refuge beneath rocks and other debris. the darker spider in this pic is a female aspersa from my yard September of last year. Keep us updated when you get a confirmed ID. wolf spider identification... :wall:
Hmm.. yaah, we ruled out the H. carolinensis and narrowed it down to either H. aspersa or H. georgicola although there is no exact match on either species. Blaah, I'll keep this thread updated if I stumble upon new information containing a more solid ID for our Wolfiie. Thanks for all of the help! :D

Btw, our Wolfiie is not even close to being as dark as the H. aspersa in the picture you posted. It's much lighter with more "tiger-like" characteristics instead of the solid black-ish color with no distinct markings. :? Who knows?!

davisfam

Arachnoknight
it looks like Hogna aspersa to me
H. aspersa is also what we were thinking as well. After watching her in captivity for a few weeks, we noticed she does not burrow like the H. georgicola. She has formed an open sac-like/blanket enclosure on the inside "ceiling" portion of a peice of bark; I'll post a picture later to gain a better understanding. It is actually really unique and neat! :p

We have better pictures of her underside that I still need to post as well. I'll will post them either later on today! Thanks for the help, it's appreciated! ;)