SPIDER ID! Help Appreciated :]

davisfam

Arachnoknight
We found this specimen in our backyard on the ground hanging out on a fallen curled-up leaf. He was not aggressive and simply 'played dead' until we switched him into a different container. After that, it was ALL over the place! Up and down the walls as if running a race, LOL! Not to mention, this spidiie is SUPER fast. In speed, this one even beats our old wandering spider whom was, until now, the quickest spidiie we've kept in captivity.

After doing tons of research, we have a few different species in mind for an ID one being "Pseudosparanthis cubana",but we were wanting other opinions as well before continuing any further with anything. It's always nice to have second opinions, right?! ;)

As I was reading through different files and such, I was curious about there being a list somewhere online of all the species that have the ability to climb smooth surfaces because this new spidiies is a pro, LOL! :p

P.S. When this new spidiie is 'resting/hanging out', it sits in the position much like the Huntsman spider although this newbiie is only about the size of a quarter. It stalks prey from up above as it sits mainly on the 'ceiling' or close to the top of it's 'home'. Also, this spidiie walks around on the walls of it's 'home' when eating meals. It's kinda neat!

We're really starting to like this one, it's quite active most of the time! If anyone has ANY information, it would be GREATLY appreciated! THANKS!! :D

Pictures:

Last edited:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hmmm... :confused: ...I almost want to say it's an Sac spider....

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I have had several, and your spidie reminds me a great deal of them... yet something about the eyes is throwing me off...

Aha... the carapace of mine were much like the Pardosa wolfies, and your spidie seems to have a flatter carapace. Now I want to know what it is too!!!!!

You guys find more interesting spiders than I do-I'm starting to get jealous! LOL, j/k! {D

Great find and great pics! S.

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im thinking sac spider too or maybe even ghost spider which is not much different than a sac spider anyway

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I looked at some info and pics on BG and a few other sites. I find this spider VERY interesting, because I LOVE Sparassidae-but this one I have never seen! :eek:

Her dorsal abdomen pattern and coloring looks EXACTLY like my Ghost Spiders! I'm glad someone else thought this too. It's amazing how 2 totally different Sp. can look so much alike.

And see... I knew it was the eyes... :D

Great find, davisfam! ... I wonder if I can find me one???? {D

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Clubionids have forward-pointing curved hairs on the front of the abdomen, but I don't see any on this spider. A better picture would help. Also, the thick layer of scopulae on the ventral metatarsus of legs I and II in this specimen are more typical of Sparasside, I think.

Last edited: