spider id - fuzzy pedipalps?

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry, I don't have a pic, I don't have a camera that can take decent pics. I just found a really cool spider in my bathroom. I thought I was familiar with most of the spiders in my area, but I've never seen one like this before.

The spider was small, somewhere between .5"-1" legspan. At first, I thought it was an ant, it really looked like an 8 legged black ant, with really long legs. Knowing there are no 8 legged ants, I leaned in for a closer look, and what looked like the head section, were actually the pedipalps. They were really large and fuzzy looking, though the spider had no visible hair on the rest of the body. It was a semi quick spider, and does produce web it can dangle from. I found it on the floor, but it was trying to climb up, having difficulty with the tile.

I live in upstate NY, America.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only ant mimicks known in upstate NY are Salticids, the most common being a small all black species. Sounds like that is what you might have. Fuzzy palps indicates it is a male, the females that I've seen have no hair on the palps. Look for the forward pointing pair of large eyes (the AME's), if they are bigger then all the other eyes it is a salticid.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I couldn't find it on google. I think you're right about it being saticid, it looked different from other salticids I've seen, much leggier and not so hunched in the front. But the pedipalps definately look like others in that family.

It was a cool little guy, if I hadn't been half asleep I would've caught him. Ah well, maybe I'll find another.