spider ID, found in shipment of crickets

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
As title states, this spider was hiding in an egg crate in a cricket shipment. Pretty small guy, total leg span of maybe 1/2" or a tad bigger. Almost looks sort of brown recluse-ish, but not quite, maybe a relative?

Attachments

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Bingo! I knew I would find the help I needed here! Couldn't find any info on their care though. For now I'm just going to mimic a cricket bin since that's where they are usually found :rofl:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
This exact situation, being frequently found in cricket shipments/enclosures, has given them the common/colloquial name of "cricket thief" spiders. :rofl:

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
I'm not sure if anyone has any experience actually keeping these as pets, but I've been giving it a shot and have noticed some weird behavior. Shortly after my original post it made a web in the corner and dropped an egg case in it. Probably every ~2 weeks after that it laid another egg case and put another layer of web over it. It is now sitting on a web with 4 egg cases embedded in it, but nothing has hatched yet. Is this normal? If the first case hasn't hatched yet is it dead?

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
According to this article, incubation for a related species Thanatus albini was 11 days at 30°C. If your spider room temperatures are lower, I can see that period being extended, but 40+ days seems excessively long.