Spider hunting behaviour?

Veles

Arachnobaron
So i do know that different spider species have different hunting behaviour patterns.And those can be seen everyday with a bit of observation.

What kind of spider hunting behaviour traits have you seen?

The wolf

Arachnolord
I have seen a salticus scenius go full Portia on a erategena spiderling,pulling on the threads and then finally tackling it I have seen this twice at my school

Veles

Arachnobaron
I have seen a salticus scenius go full Portia on a erategena spiderling,pulling on the threads and then finally tackling it I have seen this twice at my school
Jumpers will and do eat other spiders when opportunity presents itself.
Meanwhile gnaphosidae tend to just slowly wander near webs of other spiders and eat the occupants after wrestling them,hell i saw one scotophaeus pluck segestria web an hour ago.They also do chase down wolf spiders when they find them.
Wolf spiders on the other hand have great eyesight amd rely on speed to catch their prey.
Same with nursery web spiders,tho the latter relies on sensing hairs more.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Jumpers will and do eat other spiders when opportunity presents itself.
Meanwhile gnaphosidae tend to just slowly wander near webs of other spiders and eat the occupants after wrestling them,hell i saw one scotophaeus pluck segestria web an hour ago.They also do chase down wolf spiders when they find them.
Wolf spiders on the other hand have great eyesight amd rely on speed to catch their prey.
Same with nursery web spiders,tho the latter relies on sensing hairs more.
That wasn't the segestria we were talking about was it
I have always wandered what's the hunting behaviour of m.virdicens and lynx spiders

Veles

Arachnobaron
That wasn't the segestria we were talking about was it
I have always wandered what's the hunting behaviour of m.virdicens and lynx spiders
Yes it is that segestria.
I shoed the little bugger(scotopheus) in time tho,not letting this spider get eaten,i got it out of its tube web by using a moth as a bait.
And this isnt even talking about how they hunt nursery web spiders or Zygiella x-notata.
M.virdicens are ambush predators,they like sitting on large flat leaves and wait for prey to pass by.
Lynx spiders have very small hunting niche and will rarely move out of their hunting spots,which are mostly flowers and green plants.

Last edited:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
So i do know that different spider species have different hunting behaviour patterns.And those can be seen everyday with a bit of observation.

What kind of spider hunting behaviour traits have you seen?
actually this isnt about spiders but ive noticed you can pretty much bully a centipede into eating

basin79

ArachnoGod
Jumpers are my favourite. Particularly one of the Hyllus diardi I used to own.

She could go from this

To this

Absolutely remarkable.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Jumpers are great.
Sadly i dont see them much.
Idk what happened but the jumping spider gods blessed TN this spring because you can't walk 5 feet at my school without seeing one

I also saw a phidipus audix or Regis I couldn't tell for the 3rd time ever in the 6 years I've lived hear

Last edited by a moderator:

Veles

Arachnobaron
I know right what kind of setup do you have yours in
About 3 inch of substrate,some bark,few pieces of brick that i cut off and polished alongside a plastic tube to use as a retreat.

Thank god i found her in time.

The wolf

Arachnolord
About 3 inch of substrate,some bark,few pieces of brick that i cut off and polished alongside a plastic tube to use as a retreat.

Thank god i found her in time.
Mine decided to be suuuuper fussy and would not settle anywhere, I tried like 10 completely different setups until finally I had touse clay to make a perfect replica of her wall habitat luckily I had the choice to put her up against the sides of the enclosure so now I can check up on her

Veles

Arachnobaron
Mine decided to be suuuuper fussy and would not settle anywhere, I tried like 10 completely different setups until finally I had touse clay to make a perfect replica of her wall habitat luckily I had the choice to put her up against the sides of the enclosure so now I can check up on her
Mine has already made her web.:cat:
I havent fed her tho.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Mine has already made her web.:cat:
I havent fed her tho.
Pics?
Sorry I just love these guys I'm surprised that yours only took this long to make a web if your lucky and get just the right setup She get might make a good radial web with little spokes but mine certainly hasn't done that