Spider escape artist

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 25 gallon aquarium spilt into 2 sections, with a sturdy piece of cardboard....on one side is my A. avic, the other is my H. lividum, somehow, within 10 minutes my A. avic slipped through the cardboard and got onto the lividums side.....I cant figure out how, as there are not big enough spaces between the board and the aquarium walls to get through, even if she forced her way, she couldnt do it.....What do you think.....

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any burrows leading to the other side or is it all the way to the bottom of the tank? if its all the way to the bottom.. i got no idea:confused:

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You will find that T's are escape artists. I personally don't like divided tanks, because inevitably one T makes his/her way to the other side and you end up with one fatter T.

Andy

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Hmm... thats weird... is the cardboard flexible at all? Because T's are pretty strong. Im going to be dividing up a couple of my 10 gallons in the future to hold 2 diff aboreals in each side. And most people think that it is done just to save money but in actual it is going to be more expensive. They have tank dividers at the store that are about double the price of a 10 gallon so definately not cheaper but better for room. And in my opinion looks better. For now I would take out the A.Avic and try to figure out how she did it, you may have to think like a spider to do it though :p

Good Luck

TheDon

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have the cardboard wedged in there so it isnt very flexable at all...i can barely move it with my hand...no burrows as i just made the tank today, and my cobalt is pouting in the corner as always.....she is such a whiny baby....and my pinktoe just got over there somehow...i cant figure it out...but i did close what small gap were in there so maybe that will stop her.

Oh and both spiders are adults, and the only space was less than a half inch....maybe 1/4 at most....both are to fat to fit through...

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Obviously the cardboard is a bad idea for two reasons: it will mold, and it doesn't serve well as a divider. Look for a TAP Plastics (or an equivalent store) in your area and have a piece of plastic custom cut for you - cheaper than pet store dividers.

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
D-man i actually planned on that, but since i did this spur of the moment it was my only choice..... Why spur of the moment you ask??? Well I broke the lividums other aquarium when i was cleaning it, and cut my hand up pretty well at that, but thats just how it goes i guess....... I custom cut the divider as perfect as i could, but ofcourse while trying to measure the tank with a Cobalt under my hands, you tend to hurry a bit.....it seals up the whole side of the tank, and only had one small space but that is now fixed also, so i guess ill see later... I gotta kep a watchfull eye now..

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheDon
Hmm... thats weird... is the cardboard flexible at all? Because T's are pretty strong. Im going to be dividing up a couple of my 10 gallons in the future to hold 2 diff aboreals in each side. And most people think that it is done just to save money but in actual it is going to be more expensive. They have tank dividers at the store that are about double the price of a 10 gallon so definately not cheaper but better for room.

TheDon
I have a 10 gallon tank for aboreals with a divider in the middle. The tank was $30, the divider was $8.

http://www.leesaqpet.com/PICCAT/10600-15.htm

Remove the metal clips, add glue. These are sold at almost every petstore in the fishes section.

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well you learned something right?

just get 2 cages.. this was DEF a close call.

if you MUST have a divided cage,
my buddy made a great one..

he caulked a piece of plastic between the two and drilled hundreds of little holes in the divided.

the T's were about 4" a piece... no way of getting through.

i'm not a fan of divided cages at any rate, but good luck.

i say if youre going to do it, do it right, you know.

peace
dave

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes i agree, but it is only a temporary thing untill i get my new aquarium, other wise the cobalt will go back into the little 5 gallon critter keeper... But i dont hink it's gonna happen again...i think i fixed it

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the only tank I use dividers in is for my two G. roseas and I got a piece of plexiglass, it actually is a little too high so the screen top kindof teeder tooders on top of it, then I put something heavy on each side and there is no way there getting through there. and a question could you use a divider with a 1/2 by1/2 inch grid that maybe they could breed through or would you have to just risk it and toss the male in with the female

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i'd rather have a T in a smaller, temporary cage than in one where i might lose one personally. :/

man, i get nervous about molting, i can't even imagine contemplating that. lol.

either way, good luck. :)

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
Originally posted by jesses
I have a 10 gallon tank for aboreals with a divider in the middle. The tank was $30, the divider was $8.

http://www.leesaqpet.com/PICCAT/10600-15.htm

Remove the metal clips, add glue. These are sold at almost every petstore in the fishes section.
hey jesse—

is that divider made of flimsy plastic with a bunch of holes punched into it? if so, NOT a good idea....first off, it doesn't extend all of the way to the top (i believe there is an 1.5" space or so) which, for aboreals, you can make the space appear toward the bottom under the substrate, but there will still be a space at the top (where the lid fits on, and where the plastic sheet meets the "slide-in" holders attached to the aquarium walls). secondly, the plastic is so flimsy that a 4" tarantula could easily "punch" through it, particularly if the species is aggressive. and lastly, the divider is made for fish, and is meant to be held up by the pressures of the water that fills either side of the tank. it is not meant as a divider for a terrarium.

not to call you out on it, but everyone who has ever had that type of divider has either experienced the loss of a tarantula (because it was eaten by the bigger aquarium mate), or some very, very close calls.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The only reliable way to divide a tank is by using plexiglass or something similar cut to the interior dimensions of the tank and extending upward at least flush with the top of the plastic top of the tank. You then must use separate lids cut to fit the new smaller lip of the subdivided tanks. Anything else is asking for trouble.

As you might note, unless you're just an incorrigible dyi'er or happen to have a large number of tanks laying around, it's more trouble and expense than it's worth imo.