1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Spider egg rescue?

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by xActive, Nov 5, 2019.

1. xActive

xActive Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    New to caring about the fate of spiders. Early last summer a large tenty-looking web appeared from the corner of my porch railing down to some bushes. For some reason I didn’t clear it away. In mid-Aug I noticed something new hanging and eventually figured out they were egg cases – at least 15. I saw a few spiders for ID – basilica orbweavers. Cool. Well now Nov and most of the the egg cases are still there - what! they won’t hatch til spring! They will not likely last the winter in the current location, it’s snowbank territory. Should I try to move what’s left of the web? How? Where, garage or just more secluded spot? Does sun exposure matter? So clueless, should I just leave it to nature?

2. The Snark

The Snark Dumpster Fire of the Gods Old Timer

Interesting conundrum. Obviously the mom could not have known the hazards of the location when she made them.

3. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Is the mother still with the sac?

If she's already gone, I'd move it to a sheltered (but not heated) location.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.