spider egg case/spider from bananas

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Was buying some bananas when I picked up a bunch and noticed a spider in it. It was dead...but next to it was webbing and a flat eggsac glued to the stem of one of the bananas. I managed to break off a portion with the eggsac and also took the dead adult with me. I'm assuming she was the mom and was guarding it and was perhaps fumigated or died naturally? Any suggestions?

Mom is quite small(in life her legspan would probably have been a quarter or 50 cent piece) but what is left of her looks like a huntsman to me. These bananas were from Colombia

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I always find these stories with the spiders on the bananas interesting!!!! I don't have any idea of what it could be though. Whenever I think about spiders coming in on bananas I think Phoneutria but those are big so I guess thats not it. A picture will help people identify it.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Will get the photos up soon. She's kind of moldy but I can see she has two forward facing eyes on her carapace(which fell off from the legs). Carapace alone is the smaller than an eraser so probably not phoneutria.

Dunno if the silk rubbed off on the way home but I can see the eggs pretty clearly now. it will be neat to see if they hatch.

bugfoodwhenidie

Arachnopeon
what a find

funny, i have been checking in organic bananas for any spiders and would love to get my hands on a Phoneutria (why not, bees can kill me) and they are neat looking. i wonder what you found. any luck on the eggsack? what colors where the remains of the spider?

Last edited: